Torpedo Live new user - need help with where to start

seanm1960

Hi all. Just got a T.Live, and was hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Read the manual, and have watched a few Y.T. vids. Everything is hooked up and working. This is what I need to know. This vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aexk0qDpiu0

Is where I want to be with my sound. Or in the ballpark. I get the whole tweaking thing, with the mic choices, the distance, the EQ, etc. All of that shapes the sound - check. What I dont know is do I start with presets that are AMP or LINE. And the next thing is, anyone have any idea as to which preset is the best to use to get close to that vid? Be it AMP CLEAN, or AMP CRUNCH or AMP ENGL - etc. I get that it's largely personal preference, but was hoping for a good starting point.

Thanks for any help! :)

Hi seanm1960,

what are you plugging into the Torpedo Live? Jake Pitt is using a 6505 amplifier, so that could be a good start.

With an amplifier, you shouldn't use the LINE presets which were designed to work with preamps.

In other world, keep the Power Amp simulation OFF when using an amplifier as a source.

To reach the kind of tone you hear in the video, it's not only about the guitar tone itself. The bass and overall mix have a HUGE impact on the sound.

Hi GP, thanks for the reply.

Yes, you are right - the bass and mix are very important! I just needed a good starting point.

I am using a JCM 900. So, looks like I will be using the AMP presets - thanks!

Experiment with all the presets and modify/create your own. The unit is incredibly awesome and the video you posted is a really good demonstration, IMO. Good luck and enjoy!

Back