Finally a member of the Two Notes family

cphr3d

After months of GAS and numerous questions to this board, I finally picked up a Torpedo Live. Very very pleased with it. This little box really lives up to the hype.

I was a bit surprised when I fired it up my mini recto through it that I was still hearing what I was playing (albeit at a much much lower volume) and not dead silence. Initially I thought the sound was coming from the Two Notes, but found out that it was coming from the amp itself. Seems like this is normal for attenuators/load boxes and certain amps.

Although, it has me wondering if perhaps there is something wrong with my mini recto. If I turn the master down, I dont hear the sound coming from amp (I assume the output transformer is where the noise is coming from), but I dont get the cranked tubey goodness. Is this normal for mesa amps or is mine just messed up somehow? Obviously, I never heard it before because the sound coming out of the speaker cab was covering it up.

You're probably hearing your output transformer. My plexi clone does it. When it's outside the cabinet (I thinker with it) it's obnoxiously loud. I've not heard my little Jet City though, but I'm sure it's still making some noise. I had a few other amps that I would mic up the cab in another room and I'd hear the sound coming from the head.

I don't know why it makes noise, but it does....or at least some of them do.

Back