Problem using a Preamp directly in the VB-101

leenorman18

I just purchased the VB-101 for use with a Soldano P-77 preamp. I am not running a power amp in this chain. The output on the P-77 is a 1/4 jack. The VB-101 manual says you need to plug an 8ohm signal into the "Amp Input" on the back of the VB-101. The output requirement for the Amp Input is obviously much higher since it's for power amps. I tried running the preamp output into the "Analog Line Input" xlr jack on the back of the VB-101 using an unbalanced patch cable (1/4" to xlr). The VB-101 showed no incoming signal. I then plugged the preamp into the Amp Input with a speaker cable and of course the signal showed up. However, it is such a low ohm signal that i have to boost the power amp simulator to the max 30 db and turn up the input and output knobs on the front of the VB-101 unit all the way to 12 db to get any kind of boosted signal.

Why doesn't the line into the Analog Line Input, which according to the manual specs has an input impedance of 10kOhms that would work perfectly with the preamp output, work?

By the way, the Analog Output xlr to line level 1/4" input on my audio interface works. It's just a lower level signal.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this chain work without adding an external power amp?

Unlike the Live, the VB-101's input needs to be selected via the set-up menu (Amp (loadbox)/ line input/ or digital(spdif or Aes)).

Andy

Back