Building a rig around the Torpedo Live...?

tallcoolone

Not sure if this can be done, please chime in with any ideas or suggestions...

Recently purchased a Torpedo Live unit which is straight up awesome as a load box/speaker sim going out to my studio monitors. The Live is also a power amp and has 4 tube amp sims which I hear are excellent.

This has me thinking of putting together a small rig around the unit--heck the thing is 1u, weighs nothing and is extremely shallow. Are there good sounding small and lightweight preamps out there that are MIDI controllable that would pair up well with the Live? How about a good sounding multi effects unit with the same requirements?

The idea of something lightweight that could let me switch between multiple amp sounds, effects combinations, power amp types AND cab sims to FOH sounds pretty cool. Especially if I could also run a dry "amp" feed to a guitar cab as well. Am I dreaming or is this possible?

Never used a rack though--seems like I look at these cases, even the 4u ones, and they are mammoth. I mean the Live isn't even 7" deep...

Racks are available in varying depths and one can get lightweight shallow moulded ones from SKB and Gator for not a lot of $.

As far as pre-amps, the two most popular tube pre-amps that are midi are the Boogie Triaxis and the Marshall JMP-1, followed by the a/da MP-1. There are also a number of boutique models in production or available on the used market. You may also find that a more simple non midi pre-amp with 2 or 3 great sounds when combined with a Torpedo can give hundreds of possible tones. Some new pedal controllers output both midi and logic to select pre-amp channels..

When calculating you rack size, bear in mind allowing room for wiring, heat dissipation and keep an eye on weight.

When you are looking at effects, keep in mind a few important things. A processor that's perfect for studio may be problematic for live guitar due to muting when switching patches. A Rocktron Intellifex/verb is a good option. With studios moving to plug-in reverbs which now are quite amazing, one can get a great guitar effects box used for really cheap.

You could also look at a TC g system which could manage a tube pre-amp with or without midi, the Torpedo and all f/x.

Andy

sysexguy":174j5ike said:
Racks are available in varying depths and one can get lightweight shallow moulded ones from SKB and Gator for not a lot of $.

As far as pre-amps, the two most popular tube pre-amps that are midi are the Boogie Triaxis and the Marshall JMP-1, followed by the a/da MP-1. There are also a number of boutique models in production or available on the used market. You may also find that a more simple non midi pre-amp with 2 or 3 great sounds when combined with a Torpedo can give hundreds of possible tones. Some new pedal controllers output both midi and logic to select pre-amp channels..

When calculating you rack size, bear in mind allowing room for wiring, heat dissipation and keep an eye on weight.

When you are looking at effects, keep in mind a few important things. A processor that's perfect for studio may be problematic for live guitar due to muting when switching patches. A Rocktron Intellifex/verb is a good option. With studios moving to plug-in reverbs which now are quite amazing, one can get a great guitar effects box used for really cheap.

You could also look at a TC g system which could manage a tube pre-amp with or without midi, the Torpedo and all f/x.

Andy

Thanks a ton Andy! I'm thinking of picking up a Triaxis and a G Major 2--seems like these would make a pretty damn versatile combo when matched with the Live. Figuring on these components, what would be your recommendation as to a lightweight yet durable rack/enclosure?

Also, any tips on pros/cons between the G Major and Intellifex units?

If my memory serves me right, the triaxis is fairly deep... you should order that case once you have the unit's in hand.

The tc unit is a dedicated guitar processor with their version of just about any effect, the rocktron is just a reverb, delay, chorus/pitch box...you should try and listen to both to see what you prefer.

Andy

I have a Kingsley custom made Fender Twin , Vox AC30, Supro 1624T, and Marshall plexi tube preamps (http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/17/) made and they are looped to my Disaster Area DPEZ midi looper, which is controlled by my DMC-6D midi controller (http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop). I also have my Torpedo CAB, Strymon Timeline, BigSky, and Eventide H9 connected to the DMC-6D. With one hit of a button, I can launch any of the preamps and Torpedo CAB presets instantly. I basically have 4 main amp sounds on my pedalboard. Everything is small enough to fit on my 32x14 pedalboard. No need for rack units. The only thing I bring to my gig now is my pedalboard and guitar.

dapeegoo":3hxjqv0e said:
I have a Kingsley custom made Fender Twin , Vox AC30, Supro 1624T, and Marshall plexi tube preamps (http://kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/17/) made and they are looped to my Disaster Area DPEZ midi looper, which is controlled by my DMC-6D midi controller (http://www.disasterareaamps.com/shop). I also have my Torpedo CAB, Strymon Timeline, BigSky, and Eventide H9 connected to the DMC-6D. With one hit of a button, I can launch any of the preamps and Torpedo CAB presets instantly. I basically have 4 main amp sounds on my pedalboard. Everything is small enough to fit on my 32x14 pedalboard. No need for rack units. The only thing I bring to my gig now is my pedalboard and guitar.

Sounds like a cool rig! I do, however, want a loadbox as well, so I can record my bigger amps in a studio setting AND be able to run my tube amps onstage while running a feed to FOH at the same time. So you are using the power amps in the CAB? How do they sound, and more importantly FEEL? And you are switching combinations of power amp/mics/cabs on the fly? Any pops or gaps?

Thanks!

sysexguy":3ognxwdg said:
If my memory serves me right, the triaxis is fairly deep... you should order that case once you have the unit's in hand.

The tc unit is a dedicated guitar processor with their version of just about any effect, the rocktron is just a reverb, delay, chorus/pitch box...you should try and listen to both to see what you prefer.

Andy

Yeah that is a definite downside. The Triaxis is over 10" deeper than the G-Major, which will make for a very large enclosure full of air LOL...damn, no one makes a good sounding 1u preamp that is under 14" deep?

If you go the G major route, it can handle channel switching a non midi rack pre-amp which may allow more choices, Engl for example which is 10 1/2" deep.

Perhaps you could find a Mesa Formula preamp, also shallow and of course, perhaps a boutique builder could make a custom unit to your spec.

Andy

sysexguy":4km946i8 said:
If you go the G major route, it can handle channel switching a non midi rack pre-amp which may allow more choices, Engl for example which is 10 1/2" deep.

Perhaps you could find a Mesa Formula preamp, also shallow and of course, perhaps a boutique builder could make a custom unit to your spec.

Andy

Still on the lookout for a good preamp--they don't exactly grow on trees nowadays LOL...Mesa Studio or Triaxis would be very cool...maybe one of the modular rack units which are so very annoyingly rare and pricey...

Back