Linux portage for Torpedo Remote ?

blackmojo

Would it be possible to compile a Linux Remote version (Ubuntu 14.04) ?
I posted this message on the french guitariste.com's forum but hope some more success here ;)

Should be so great !!

Deeply Yours .

Well, once a year I get that request, and once a year my answer is: try the Windows application with Wine, because we do not have ressources to put on a Linux version. ;)

Porting the Remote to Linux is a huge work, and so far I don't see any market for this. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. ;)

guillaume_pille":286h0b07 said:
Well, once a year I get that request
Now that you say that, yes I'm sorry already saw that ... :( Sorry. But my experience with wine has never been sucessfull ...
guillaume_pille":286h0b07 said:
Porting the Remote to Linux is a huge work
Didn't know that as you already program for Osx
I though this was not a so huge task ...

Anyway thanks for answer.
Yours .

though this was not a so huge task ...

The distance between a standard Linux distribution and OSX is H U G E. ^^

I should have a dedicated team on that, and even if the geek inside me would love to announce a Linux version, I know it's better if we give new toys to the people using Windows and Mac OSX, which is already a lot of work. And I can't imagine giving support for all the Linux distributions as a new one is born every day. ^^

Or I should have a team of geek interns on Linux. ^^

guillaume_pille":11nxm1jd said:
though this was not a so huge task ...

The distance between a standard Linux distribution and OSX is H U G E. ^^

I should have a dedicated team on that, and even if the geek inside me would love to announce a Linux version, I know it's better if we give new toys to the people using Windows and Mac OSX, which is already a lot of work. And I can't imagine giving support for all the Linux distributions as a new one is born every day. ^^

Or I should have a team of geek interns on Linux. ^^

Aujourd'hui je suis ingénieur généraliste avec une bonne culture du dev logiciel et de GNU/Linux mais... En tant qu'étudiant, comme j'aurais aimé lire cette dernière phrase! :D

If you don't mind tenSe we will stick to English here .;)

Well, its not only about compiling a Linux version, but maintaining it and offering a new one every time we release an update. That is some serious work. ;)

guillaume_pille":j9hmhscz said:
If you don't mind tenSe we will stick to English here .;)

Well, its not only about compiling a Linux version, but maintaining it and offering a new one every time we release an update. That is some serious work. ;)

Sure, I'll write in English only from now on.

The decision is quite easy to understand: the demand of a GNU/Linux version of Remote is not huge enough, compared to the resource it takes to develop and maintain such a piece of software.
It is sad though, since there are some really nice products, like Ardour3 and Cadence, which allow advanced music processing with GNU/Linux.

... I might try running Remote with WINE in the near future (if I don't spend all my spare time playing with the new Arcade mode and the CAB reverbs :D ). I'll let you know if I can get it to work.

Have a nice day.

Sadly enough, it does not work :(.
Remote starts and does not find my CAB.
When I plug the USB cable, the kernel sees the CAB (dmesg displays all my CAB's infos), but Remote does not seem to be aware of it.

I wish it could work :D.

Remote uses some information from the computer to identify you. In that regard, Windows and Linux do not work the same, but we have in mind to change that in future versions.

guillaume_pille":1pzj3n8l said:
Remote uses some information from the computer to identify you. In that regard, Windows and Linux do not work the same, but we have in mind to change that in future versions.

Yes, this is a long dead topic ... but I'm thinking about buying the Revv D20, which hosts the Torpedo CAB and I'm exclusive on Linux on all my systems. The D20 lacks wireless connectivity, so Android/iPhone is out of the question.

Will I be able to run the remote software on Linux/Wine? Did anyone try it on a less-ideal VirtualBox Windows environment?

MrHaroldA I have no idea if the latest remote with D20 works on Linux with Wine, virtual Box will work though but I know it's a bit of a pain.

guillaume_pille":2lee3264 said:
MrHaroldA I have no idea if the latest remote with D20 works on Linux with Wine, virtual Box will work though but I know it's a bit of a pain.
Well, I bought a D20 today, so let's find out in the somewhere in the near future ;)

guillaume_pille":38lzx8ja said:
Great, keep us posted!

Well, it doesn't work.

Wine can't find the USB device, VirtualBox neither. In Linux, the D20 registers as HID device. If you unbind it, it has no driver at all so it won't show up as device to add to a virtual Windows machine.

This sucks big time.

I guess I have to program my D20 using midi? Does it support loading IR's through SysEX?

the D20 registers as HID device

It is an HID device indeed. Not sure why the virtual box doesn't see it, we do use virtual box in our developments but not on Linux.

I guess I have to program my D20 using midi? Does it support loading IR's through SysEX?

Well loading an IR through sysex would probably take an hour, so no the function is not available. MIDI control of every parameter, yes.

guillaume_pille":3o7l2otq said:

Well loading an IR through sysex would probably take an hour, so no the function is not available. MIDI control of every parameter, yes.

Ok, and how about querying parameters? Is that possible?

guillaume_pille":2juaa9kl said:
And I can't imagine giving support for all the Linux distributions as a new one is born every day. ^^

Not even the video game publishers with Linux support for their games attempt that. Generally, a company picks its flavor, usually Ubuntu or Debian, then the users and distributions based on those adapt to your product.

guillaume_pille":2juaa9kl said:
so far I don't see any market for this. I may be wrong, but I don't think so. ;)

There are indications this market is developing. For instance, I just saw this today: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.8-RME-Babyface-Pro

lockingtuner":2no4q3nx said:
guillaume_pille":2no4q3nx said:
And I can't imagine giving support for all the Linux distributions as a new one is born every day. ^^

Not even the video game publishers with Linux support for their games attempt that. Generally, a company picks its flavor, usually Ubuntu or Debian, then the users and distributions based on those adapt to your product
There are companies that make sure their Windows binary runs on Wine. Cockos REAPER, for example, but they have released a native Linux version as well.

Linux runs on more than half of all devices worldwide, from your router to most web servers, from your phone (Android) to the desktop. The desktop is the only market Linux hasn't conquered yet, but at a stable 2% it is already a big player.

Games have been ported to Linux as well, I read that Valve/Steam made about 6500 games available on Linux.

Let's hope Two Notes can get Wine support done; that way they can serve all major desktops with the least amount of effort.

MrHaroldA":cp2nt8lv said:
lockingtuner":cp2nt8lv said:
guillaume_pille":cp2nt8lv said:

Not even the video game publishers with Linux support for their games attempt that. Generally, a company picks its flavor, usually Ubuntu or Debian, then the users and distributions based on those adapt to your product
There are companies that make sure their Windows binary runs on Wine. Cockos REAPER, for example, but they have released a native Linux version as well.

Linux runs on more than half of all devices worldwide, from your router to most web servers, from your phone (Android) to the desktop. The desktop is the only market Linux hasn't conquered yet, but at a stable 2% it is already a big player.

Games have been ported to Linux as well, I read that Valve/Steam made about 6500 games available on Linux.

Let's hope Two Notes can get Wine support done; that way they can serve all major desktops with the least amount of effort.

Right, WINE would be a smart move, and native support would be even better for the user. Recording with Linux would also avoid this kind of issue:

Linux people should experience the days of running SGI Unix systems for graphics. When Apple and Windows started doing it we were so happy because it was cheaper and eventually faster. The bottom line there is that multimedia on Apple or PC not Unix based systems is how it evolved to get better because it allowed more people access to develop more stuff. I love Linux for what it does but if you want cutting edge multimedia then Windows/Apple is where it is at.

Back