Torpedo Live / G-Major 2 MIDI help needed...

tallcoolone

Ok here's what I got:

Torpedo Live
G-Major 2
Mesa Studio Preamp
Voodoo Ground Control

Obviously I want to be able to switch presets on my Torpedo and G-Major AND channels on the Mesa using the GC. I have an RJM Gizmo if need be for the Mesa but do I need it? Can I run stereo effects out to the board? Shielded cables? Y cables?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. This rig will not include a power amp--it will be going direct to FOH, direct to an Atomic CLR or both.

The signal path should be guitar-->TC-->TC send-->mesa-pre-->torpedo line-in--> TC return-->TC outL/R==> FOH/FRFR

the mesa's footswitch functions can be connected to the TC logic for programmed channel selection etc.

You then need to set up your patches so that the TC isn't doing what the mesa/torpedo handles (ie amp and speaker)

Andy

Hmmm...this is what I have on the back of the TC:

MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, MIDI THRU -and- L/R Balanced inputs and L/R Balanced outputs

What MIDI receptacle do I connect to the Torpedo MIDI IN? Which for the Ground Control MIDI footswitch?

Can I run effects in stereo through the Torpedo?

If you are using the Ground control, midi thru goes to the Torpedo and the Ground Control goes to the midi In.

Torpedo Live is a mono in/out processor. You can place it prior to your stereo effects like chorus and echo by using the effects loop of the TC

Andy

sysexguy":ddkf3l1r said:
If you are using the Ground control, midi thru goes to the Torpedo and the Ground Control goes to the midi In.

Torpedo Live is a mono in/out processor. You can place it prior to your stereo effects like chorus and echo by using the effects loop of the TC

Andy

You mentioned before I should go guitar>TC G-Major...not sure how to do that. I'm going guitar>Mesa>TC input>TC output>Line in Torpedo...is that what you meant??

I would put the Torpedo in the loop of the TC:

Guitar -> Mesa -> TC in -> TC FX loop send -> Torpedo Line in -> Torpedo Line out -> TC FX loop return -> TC Line OUt -> Mixer/PA/Recorder.

This way you can put stereo FX after the Torpedo Live, like you would do in the studio for example (with FX on Auxiliary channels).

guillaume_pille":1bmtvh1x said:
I would put the Torpedo in the loop of the TC:

Guitar -> Mesa -> TC in -> TC FX loop send -> Torpedo Line in -> Torpedo Line out -> TC FX loop return -> TC Line OUt -> Mixer/PA/Recorder.

This way you can put stereo FX after the Torpedo Live, like you would do in the studio for example (with FX on Auxiliary channels).

The G-Major 2 has no effects loop so I'm not sure what you mean? :confused:

It means that I (and Andy^^) should check the back of the Gmajor twice before writing something stupid. ;)

Sorry about that, forget about my comment, this is what I would do:

Guitar-> mesa -> torpedo live-> TC -> FOH

You are right, we do not explain in the manual how to connect an FX unit, because, well, it's not that different wether you use a Torpedo Live or any other situation in "real life":

- you can always have the effects in the loop of an amp, this would mean in your case between the preamp and the Torpedo Live. The FX loop of an amp takes the signal of the preamp stage (in your tube head for example) and the FX return sends the signal to the power amp stage.

- or use the FX on the mixer (like in the studio), that would mean the FX after the Torpedo Live

With the second option, you can have stereo effects sent to the mixer, in the first one as the TC will be plugged in the Live which is mono, well, the stereo is lost at that stage. you can try both, take the time to adjust the levels, the sound will be diffeernt, keep the solution that sounds better to you.

Does that make more sense?

I will have to add another chapter to the manual, because you are not the first to ask. Sometimes what we think is obvious is not, after all.

guillaume_pille":1sqvlhav said:
It means that I (and Andy^^) should check the back of the Gmajor twice before writing something stupid. ;)

Sorry about that, forget about my comment, this is what I would do:

Guitar-> mesa -> torpedo live-> TC -> FOH

You are right, we do not explain in the manual how to connect an FX unit, because, well, it's not that different wether you use a Torpedo Live or any other situation in "real life":

- you can always have the effects in the loop of an amp, this would mean in your case between the preamp and the Torpedo Live. The FX loop of an amp takes the signal of the preamp stage (in your tube head for example) and the FX return sends the signal to the power amp stage.

- or use the FX on the mixer (like in the studio), that would mean the FX after the Torpedo Live

With the second option, you can have stereo effects sent to the mixer, in the first one as the TC will be plugged in the Live which is mono, well, the stereo is lost at that stage. you can try both, take the time to adjust the levels, the sound will be diffeernt, keep the solution that sounds better to you.

Does that make more sense?

I will have to add another chapter to the manual, because you are not the first to ask. Sometimes what we think is obvious is not, after all.

Thanks--can you be more specific as to which in/outs to use with the Torpedo both from the Mesa and to the TC GM2? What should I use if I am going to FOH AND I want to run a powered speaker on stage as a monitor? How about MIDI--should that go to the GM2's "MIDI IN"?

Thanks again!

So let's go with the Line, first.

Mesa line out -> Line in Torpedo Live
Torpedo Live line out -> Line in TC

You could try to use the SPDIF out of the Live to enter the TC, don't forget about the SPDIF sync if you want to go that ay (check the Torpedo Live and TC manuals).

What should I use if I am going to FOH AND I want to run a powered speaker on stage as a monitor?

If you want to keep the signal stereo, you will need either a line splitter or a mixer to be able to feed two different products with the same stereo output from the TC.

If mono is OK, one output of the TC can go to FOH and the other to your stage monitor.

How about MIDI--should that go to the GM2's "MIDI IN"?

Midi should be GC midi out -> Torpedo Live midi in -> Torpedo Live midi out -> TC Midi

I don't know how you can control the Mesa, I never use a Ground Control myself.

Please, before asking about the MIDI configuration of all of that, check the user's manual of each product, the answers are inside those precious books. ;)

guillaume_pille":cyxoyc0d said:
So let's go with the Line, first.

Mesa line out -> Line in Torpedo Live
Torpedo Live line out -> Line in TC

You could try to use the SPDIF out of the Live to enter the TC, don't forget about the SPDIF sync if you want to go that ay (check the Torpedo Live and TC manuals).

What should I use if I am going to FOH AND I want to run a powered speaker on stage as a monitor?

If you want to keep the signal stereo, you will need either a line splitter or a mixer to be able to feed two different products with the same stereo output from the TC.

If mono is OK, one output of the TC can go to FOH and the other to your stage monitor.

How about MIDI--should that go to the GM2's "MIDI IN"?

Midi should be GC midi out -> Torpedo Live midi in -> Torpedo Live midi out -> TC Midi

I don't know how you can control the Mesa, I never use a Ground Control myself.

Please, before asking about the MIDI configuration of all of that, check the user's manual of each product, the answers are inside those precious books. ;)

The Mesa is the easiest part of this, no worries there...I can switch MIDI channels with either my RJM gear or the GM2.

But...the Torpedo Live has no MIDI out...? :confused: I think because of this your idea to go preamp > Torpedo > TC G-Major 2 will not work.

This is not that strange of a setup--that "precious book" should have spent some more time on real world set ups. ;) I mean, of course you knew this would be going into a rack...with rack effects...and a rack preamp...and people were going to want to go FOH AND to a monitor. It's called the "Torpedo Live"...so of course MIDI interaction is in play. Hey I'll get it all working and it will be badass but in the meantime it looks as though I am going to be a trailblazer LOL.

Damn, the VB-101 has midi out, not the Live. ^^

You'll have to have the TC in the middle of the MIDI setup instead of the Live.

Hey I'll get it all working and it will be badass but in the meantime it looks as though I am going to be a trailblazer LOL.

Well, we obviously have a lot of people with a similar system. But as we don't really aim at beginners, I assumed that the basic knowledge of how to set an FX unit in a guitar rig or how to setup a MIDI chain was mandatory. ;)

Sometimes, you find that something obvious for you is not for someone else. ;) And even if you're not a beginner, just having a new product in the middle of everything can be disturbing.

We have a big update coming for all products, that's a good opportunity to re-work the user's manual. ;)

No offense Guillaume but so far on this thread your expert advice has been by your own admission completely wrong not once but twice now...I may be a beginner to rack gear but so far I've had to pretty much correct everything you've said. And since you are trying to make a living selling a form factor that has been out of favor for the better part of three decades, I would recommend a more user friendly approach AND a more thorough knowledge of the probable pieces that will be integrating with what you are trying to sell. You seem to be wanting to get the last word here, or be "right" or whatever but you should actually listen because it will make you money going forward.

The TC G-Major is the best selling rack multi effects unit on the market. The Voodoo Ground Control Pro is the best selling advanced MIDI foot controller on the market. The Atomic CLR is blowing up right now and taking over the QSC K12 as the most popular powered speaker for guitar modeling. If I owned Two Notes Engineering, I would know the ins and outs of these pieces like the back of my hand. Because if it is EASY to get great tone from your product, you will sell more product. There are THOUSANDS of players out there that shy away from this type of gear for the exact reason I posted this thread--it is not easy. You make it easy, you will sell more units and make more money.

I'm sorry if I wrote that wrong, apparently I did: I'm 100% with you on that, and as I said, I will put some additions to the manual.

As I don't think someone answered that, i'll give it a try:

Can I run stereo effects out to the board? Shielded cables? Y cables?

You can run the balanced Line Output of the G-Major to the FOH Mixer.

You should use balanced cables, they are constituted of two conductors and a shield. In the G-MAjor maual you have a picture of a stereo 1/4", it's the same thing.

If you need to use 1/4" to XLR cables (for example if you have an XLR patch on stage) I would recommend isolating the TC outputs with either a DI or a Line Splitter providing a ground lift (or better, a galvanic isolation through a transformer).

Just to prevent any 48V coming from the mixer to go into your TC outputs. Some products don't like to have 48V on the line out.

And talking about the Line Splitter, that is what you should use to feed at the same time the FOH and your Atomic.

A Y cable will link connect directly the ground of the CLR and the FOX Mixer, and that is often how you create some ground hum.

guillaume_pille":3lab7jwn said:
I'm sorry if I wrote that wrong, apparently I did: I'm 100% with you on that, and as I said, I will put some additions to the manual.

Yeah sorry back at ya--I forget that English probably isn't your first language. It's hard enough conveying tone in an internet post. But I do mean what I say--this tech you have bottled up is pretty damn amazing and I can't wait to get this rig up and running. :rock:

Back