Torpedo Cab out to FRFR speakers

Detroit ABA

I am planning on running my torpedo cab in the effects loop of my 5150 III 50 watt. It is my understanding it should be the last pedal in the chain, after delay, reverb, etc. The 5150 III will have matrix cfr12 passive wedges connected to the amp for the speaker load. I am wondering if I use the headphone jack of the torpedo cab will it mute the speakers? Any body see any issues with this setup?

Hi Detroit ABA,

I am planning on running my torpedo cab in the effects loop of my 5150 III 50 watt. It is my understanding it should be the last pedal in the chain, after delay, reverb, etc. The 5150 III will have matrix cfr12 passive wedges connected to the amp for the speaker load. I am wondering if I use the headphone jack of the torpedo cab will it mute the speakers? Any body see any issues with this setup?

To answer your direct question, the headphones output and the Line output on the C.A.B. are linked and work simultaneously. But you should note that they share the same level settings, meaning you set the output level for both the headphones out and Line out at the same time.

This said, I am not sure that what you wish to do is what I would recommend. It will work, but the power amp of the Peavey will change the tone.

To amplify what is coming out of the Torpedo C.A.B., an active monitor or a good solid state amplifier + passive FRFR cabinet will do a better job.

About the last pedal thing, and I realize I have to post that drawing urgently, you can put the effect before or after the C.A.B., the result will be different. I often recommend to put all kind of modulation, reverb, delay and everything that is stereo AFTER the C.A.B. (that is what you would do in a studio).

Thanks for the response. I should clarify, I primarily want to use the Torpedo Cab in the effects loop of the 5150 III with the cabinet simulations only (power amp sims off) and my 515O III will be connected to FRFR passive monitors so what I am looking to acheive is to use the 5150 III tone but with the Torpedo Cab cab sims. Disregard my question about headphones as I probably won't have a need to use those anyway.

Thanks.

Well, usually the power amp (your 5150) is before the cabinet (simulation, or real).

What you plan to do will work, electronically speaking, but to be frank I don't know how it will sound. ^^

I thought this was one of the intents of the product to use it in the effects loop of real amp based on the manual excerpt below?

" 2. Use the FX loop of the amplifier, plug the Send Output into the TORPEDO C.A.B.. Depending on
the output impedance and level of the FX loop Output try both Input selector positions to find
the appropriate Input level. If you want to send the TORPEDO C.A.B. to the Return Input of your
amplifier, try both OUT LEVEL selector positions to find the appropriate level.
When using the TORPEDO C.A.B. with an amplifier, we recommend switching OFF the Power Amp simulation section."

It is absolutely possible, and the AMP settings on the C.A.B. output is designed for that purpose, or to feed other pedals.

The result when doing this will be greatly affected by the power amp you use, that is all I wanted to tell you. ;) I actually never tested a Peavey 5150 on an FRFR cabinet, that can work perfectly.

Back