Torpedo Weirdness

Aurelius

So I have this problem with my Torpedo Live. I know these things are suppose to make noise by nature, but this seems a little excessive. I'll just post a clip.

https://soundcloud.com/aur3lius/torpedo-test-1

0.0 ~ 0.14: Guitar volume knob rolled back to the point where noise doesn't show even if not touching strings.

0.17 ~ 0.27: Guitar Volume knob rolled forward a bit. Noise Starts to show whenever I let go of strings. Amp still fairly Clean.

0.30 ~ 0.42: Guitar Volume knob rolled even further. Amp more saturated. Noise still not present when touching strings, but louder.

0.43 ~ 0.45: demonstrating what happens when I try to strum open strings at this level.

0.47 ~ 0.49: demonstrating open strings again but with guitar volume knob all the way up. Way worse. Sound gets sucked into the noise.

0.50 ~ end: Guitar volume knob at max. Amp fairly distorted now. Noise present even when touch strings. Not so much when playing, but still there sometimes. I try and sustain a note at the end, but yea.....Noise just takes over.

Anybody experiencing this as well? Is my unit faulty? what's the deal?

it sounds like a grounding problem.
I guess the power of torpedo is not grounded, or the guitar is not.
Is it the same thing with another guitar, or if the torpedo is plugged into a different outlet?
if you touch the metal part of the torpedo, is that it removes noise too?

this seems a little excessive

This is massively excessive! Never heard something like that, except when a really distorted effect is in the signal path.

First of all I would make sure there is no strange coupling between the Torpedo and the amplifier, put as much distance as you can.

Same with you guitar, do not stand too close to both units.

If you have a guitar cabinet, could you plug it to the THRU of the Torpedo Live and see if things change?

Did you activate the power amp in the Live and how hard is pushed your "real" amp?

eglyn: It's the same if another guitar is plugged in or if plugged into another outlet. I think I tried touching the metal screws on the torpedo and it got louder. I'll have to double check.

guillaume pille: The power amp setting is not active. My amp is set to about 2 o'clock on the master and 1 o'clock on the gain. It's an 18watt Dr Z Maz-18. I noticed that lowering the treble on my amp or guitar tone knob can make the noise go away. Usually have to cut a lot of treble for that to happen. But that might just be lowering the output, because if I turn the amp up more, it comes back. I can be away from the equipment, but the noise still there. Only effect between the amp and guitar is an ocd pedal. But I just got this pedal. The noise was around before that.

I'll have to pick up a speaker cable to be able to try the thru output. i'll be doing that sometime next week.

Sounds like field problem, due to a power box or dimmer/transformer near by, or bad shielding in the guitar or cables.

A) Does it make noise without the guitar and cable plugged in?

B) The amp, Torpedo, and computer/interface/preamp/monitors-amps all need to be grounded at the same place/circuit.

C) All cables excepting the speaker cable between amp's speaker out and Torpedo need to be shielded.

Just curious, are you running your amp way louder than normal because you have it plugged into the live?

It sounds a lot like an amplifier going into auto-oscillation (because of its volume), but testing with a cabinet will help figuring out if it's a normal behavior or not.

Back