Torpedo for home practice and studio

mapix

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Torpedo Live (or C.A.B.) for my setup (details here http://www.hugeracksinc.com/forum/viewt ... =1&t=94591).

The torpedo mono line output will go to the input of my FX mixer. I am wondering about where to go from the Mackie 820i mixer output:

• 1) headphones - I do not want this to be my only option for my home playing, but I would really like to get a very good and hi-quality sound this way: do you think this will be the case?
    2) studio monitors or 2 FRFR speakers - This should my first solution for home playing, I thus need to have an ultra-quality sound as I would be studying and programming my sounds with this solution. My first guess is that buying 2 FRFR speakers just for home use is exaggerated, so I’m more biased to the studio monitors solution. But I am not expert in monitors…
    3) my current 2 2x12 guitar speakers

Could you pls help me :LOL: :LOL: ?

Hi mapix,

great pictures of your setup. ^^

I will try to help but maybe I didn't understand the question..

1) Your mixer does have a headphones output,
2) you can use the Aux send to feed the FRFR
3) and the main output for the studio monitors

And have everything playing/connected at the same time.

If the looper uses the FX send, well, you'll have to choose between connecting the FRFR or the studio monitors on the main outputs of the mixer.

In that case, if the looper only takes 1 auxiliary, you could use the other to feed a unique FRFR active speaker.

Oh, and by the way, if you plan to NEVER plug a guitar amplifier to the Torpedo Live, you may want to consider the Torpedo C.A.B. which is perfect with preamps, unless you prefer the rack format.

Thanks for your reply,

My question was more about what model of monitors or FRFR speakers would be best for home playing.

Thanks

Oh sorry now I get it. ;)

If you just want to play guitar, and not use them as monitors to mix, listen to music etc..., FRFR solution are good. There are plenty of good FRFR monitors. I like the QSC K12, Line 6 L2 (I prefer L3 but, at home...) and the Atomic in wedge format I don't remember the name. ;)

I think it is a matter of budget, because so many solutions exist...

If the budget is not important, the 15" QSC are Killer, or Line 6 L3, or a pair of Adam S3X or similar monitors will give you a killer sound.

In any case, if you search for something compact, beware of the bass response at low volume, with small speakers, even with a bass reflex, you may be disappointed, comparing that with a good old 2x12..

Back