Impedance Matching Issue

Uncle Mike

I have purchased a Carr Sportsman Amp which is 16 ohms.

I see that the Torpedo Live is 8 Ohms. I would imagine that this has been asked but I have not been able to fine a complete answer. Reading the Manual indicates that when running a 16 ohm amp, a speaker cable should be connected to the speaker cab to maintain the 16 ohm impedance load. I get that, but this defeats the whole idea of "Silent Recording" and results in the amp being run at very high levels.

Had the Torpedo Live been an Attenuator I think all would be OK.

Is there a working solution to get around the speaker connection other than to also buy a Reload?
Thanks

Your Uncle Mike

HI Uncle Mike,

well, impedance matching is a kind of a grey area in the tube amp technology. ;) We always recommend that you use a 16 Ohms with a 16 Ohms speaker output on your amp.

Meaning, as the Torpedo Live has a 8 Ohms input "only", you would need another load to put in the HTRU output of the Torpedo Live.

In the real world (no in the perfect world of theoretical electronics), plugging a 8 Ohms cabinet to a 16 Ohms speaker output of your amp is not a big deal, but some amplifiers are more touchy that others, depending on their internal architecture.

You can do a test and monitor your amp behavior, do not push it too much is all I can say at this point.

The Torpedo reload and future Torpedo Studio have 4/8/16 Ohms modes, and I have to recommend you to either use one of our products or find a loadbox on the market that has a 16 Ohms input. ;)

Back