vb101 load compensation filter

kosta

hello chaps, just wondering if theres any plans in future to improve this feature - or perhaps even to make its intensity variable. I'm finding its way too harsh switched on and very dull switched off, am I mad or was its effect made more intense in an update a while back? Its not so bad on cleans - but produces harsh fizz on every high gainer I've tried.

thanks - any suggestions would be awesome.

Hello Kosta,

The Load Compensation filter was modified once, on version v1.62, dated May 25th, 2011. If you are talking about that, yes, it did change, and it became more effective. But since then, it did not change again.

This filter addresses the fact that the amp reacts differently on the inductive impedance of a loudspeaker and on the resistive loadbox of the VB-101. But depending on the actual loudspeaker, as well as the sensitivity of the amp to this change in impedance (some amps are almost totally immune to this), the difference may be big or little, whereas the filter is unique. We designed the filter to be something like an average, but in certain situations, it may still remain not perfectly fitting. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it.

The best way to go would probably to use it, and reduce the excessive trebles by choosing a cabinet/microphone that naturally reduces trebles (maybe the ribbon mics would work great), moving the mic away from the center position, cutting the trebles with the EQ, or simply cutting them on the amp (probably with a Presence knob if your amp has one).

The almost-there Torpedo Studio embeds a resistive or inductive load (selectable in the Setup) and still comes with the bypassable Load Compensation filter if you're using the resistive load. This way, one can choose which setup works better for him.

Thanks for the response!

In hindsight I the update was applied when i first connected the unit to a usb port - so it probably is the one from years back.

Will two-notes be offering some sort of external speaker load in future? - I seem to recall talk of this in the past - alternatively I might just make one out of an actual speaker and a sound proof cube.

Thanks very much for your help.

You can connect the thru jack to a speaker or a load. In this case, the amp should be set to match the impedance of the connected load or speaker. The Torpedo will extract a signal and function normally as a speaker/micing emulator.

Andy

sysexguy":31zel7aa said:
You can connect the thru jack to a speaker or a load. In this case, the amp should be set to match the impedance of the connected load or speaker. The Torpedo will extract a signal and function normally as a speaker/micing emulator.

Andy

Yep thats what I've been doing - My question was if some sort of external load was being planned by two-notes. Thus far I've used actual speakers, a hotplate and an old weber unit.

The difference I'm finding with using difference loads is massive (with the exception of the hotplate - it sounded the same as the vb101 internal) - both in tone and feel, often as big of a change if not bigger than moving the virtual mic around. Whilst an eq can get it sounding somewhat similar - the power-amps response differs greatly. Whats really interesting is how differently a speaker in a tightly sealed soundproof box reacts to one thats sitting open - of course they sound different, but they differ greatly as far as the signal going into the vb101 is concerned also.

Theres a ton of opinion and theory online about the topic, but it has certainly been enlightening actually testing some of the claims people make -

There already is a stand-alone Two Notes reactive loadbox, it's called the Reload & you can connect it to the line in of the VB-101 should you not be getting the results you want from the VB-101's internal resistive load (Guillaume tells us that this would in affect give us the same results as the soon to be released Torpedo Studio).

Back