Want to buy the torpedo reload, but have a few questions

webstersp

I've been using the eleven rack the last year for my band demo.
I would like to take the next step and use our guitar sound.
I'm using a fender EVH 50+2x12 watt and my guitarist a Rectoverb 25 combo +1x12
There's 2 obvious choices... the Torpedo Reload or the kemper.

I decided to go with the torpedo but I have a few questions.
Do I have to bring back my cab at home after each rehearsal or can I use my evh head in the
reload without damaging it while tracking?
I've read somewhere that the torpedo wasn't working well with mesa because mesa's volume was
way too loud... But since the rectoverb is a 25 watt, should be ok??

Anyone with any of those amps and a torpedo?
Thanks

We used an EVH50 for 2 days straight in the sun at the Sweetwater Gearfest without the fan even coming on. I don't know where you read about a problem with Mesa but there shouldn't be a problem in normal use. I have gotten a Live to reach the point where the Torpedo needs to cool down but that was with a Friedman basically maxed (about 120 watts). The Reload is actually higher wattage than the Live if that matters. Nearly all amps will be in their sweet spot for sound well below the Live's thermal limit and certainly both your amps will be smooth sailing with a Reload. FWIW, Mesa says the same thing on their site in regards to using their Cabclone with high wattage amps.

With a Live, Reload or Studio, there would be no need to bring home your cabinet for studio work. When choosing your Torpedo, bear in mind that the Reload is analog only and all speaker emulation is done with the included plug-in and a host DAW, whereas the Live and Studio are self contained loadbox/speaker emulators.

Andy

That's fine I want to use it with my DAW while tracking at home.
I'll use the torpedo only for studio work and playing at home!
I would really like to hear the EVH50 trough a torpedo doing some rock
and heavy sounds (not metal)

webstersp":dnzu8bxs said:
That's fine I want to use it with my DAW while tracking at home.
I'll use the torpedo only for studio work and playing at home!
I would really like to hear the EVH50 trough a torpedo doing some rock
and heavy sounds (not metal)
https://soundcloud.com/two-notes

Not sure if there's a 5150 on there, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have some special thing that sounds poorly compared to other amps using TN stuff. You should get an idea of the tones you can get.

You'll be fine, with the right IR's it sounds scary close to a "real" recording. I've had my Reload for a couple weeks now and I'm really sold on it.

I don't have my 5153 50watt here at home, but I'm cranking a 100w Bugera 1960 through it with no issues whatsoever. And by cranking I mean everything but bass on 10, so it probably putting out 150w+ :)
I don't think a 25w Mesa will be an issue. :LOL: :LOL:

Blix":1qyy0cm2 said:
I don't have my 5153 50watt here at home, but I'm cranking a 100w Bugera 1960 through it with no issues whatsoever. And by cranking I mean everything but bass on 10, so it probably putting out 150w+ :)
I don't think a 25w Mesa will be an issue. :LOL: :LOL:

EDITED by GP: Please Mesa team, keep your advertising for your usual networks, let us handle the support here. ;)

Please accept my sincere apologies, as I did not see that it was in the Two Notes sub-forum. Many thanks!!

I've read somewhere that the torpedo wasn't working well with mesa because mesa's volume was way too loud... But since the rectoverb is a 25 watt, should be ok??

I would be curious to read that, lol.

A lot of bass players are using Torpedo products with amps WAY louder than Mesa guitar amps. ;)

On a side note, using a tube amplifier (or any other amplifier's technology) at its maximum volume is a good way to destroy it fast. The normal operating zone of an amp is not at max volume, and the sweet spot everybody searches for is usually far away from the max volume. ;)

guillaume_pille":3ct3hhdd said:
I've read somewhere that the torpedo wasn't working well with mesa because mesa's volume was way too loud... But since the rectoverb is a 25 watt, should be ok??

I would be curious to read that, lol.

A lot of bass players are using Torpedo products with amps WAY louder than Mesa guitar amps. ;)

On a side note, using a tube amplifier (or any other amplifier's technology) at its maximum volume is a good way to destroy it fast. The normal operating zone of an amp is not at max volume, and the sweet spot everybody searches for is usually far away from the max volume. ;)
I have got a new Mesa Boogie Dual RectoVerb 25 and unfortunately to say this amp is not working well with my also new Torpedo Reload! I have already spoken with Mesa Boogie and Two Notes support and this is the first amp according to Two Notes that is not compatible with the Reload! For more detailed information you can visit the Mesa Boogie forum or Gear Page where i've discussed this issue. Two Notes suggested a modification for the Reload but can not guarantee this will 100% work.

The 10 watt setting of the RectoVerb 25 works fine with the Reload but with the 25 watt setting the Reload slams in some sort of 'feedback loop' which creates a constant low end rumble.

Although the topic starter is not taken completely serious here i'm glad to read that other guitar players with the same gear experienced somehow the same problem. It's difficult as a guitar player to exactly lay your finger on the problem, but believe me it's true. I also think that maybe more amps from Mesa Boogie (25 series) have issues with the Torpedo (reactive load) series, but who knows, maybe it's only this amp?

Hi The Lo Lands,

we will try to put our hands on a Mesa Boogie Dual RectoVerb 25 and we'll post the result here if we encounter anything unusual.

If the Mesa CAB Clone works, there is always a very simple mod we can do on the Reload to make it resistive (like the Studio can be, with a switch to change the mode). But it's not very satisfying and we have to investigate. ;)

guillaume_pille":1n1db9cd said:
Hi The Lo Lands,

we will try to put our hands on a Mesa Boogie Dual RectoVerb 25 and we'll post the result here if we encounter anything unusual.

If the Mesa CAB Clone works, there is always a very simple mod we can do on the Reload to make it resistive (like the Studio can be, with a switch to change the mode). But it's not very satisfying and we have to investigate. ;)
Hi guillaume_pille,

Thats good to hear that you're gonna test a real Mesa RectoVerb 25 before developing a modification. This was my only concern that if this modification is especially made for the Mesa amp my other amp, a Orange Rockerverb 50H, will maybe suffer from this modification. The Orange sounds awesome with the Reload so a switchable MOD for the Mesa amp would be the best option!

For now i use the Mesa's 10 watt setting when using the Reload and i also have a Mesa Boogie Cab Clone with a resistive load which works good with the 25 watt setting. As we all know with a resistive load you lose some low end and the amp sounds and plays stiffer, less dynamic.

I really dig the Reload and if in the end a MOD with a reactive/resistive load will not work out i have to let the Mesa amp go and buy an amp like the Orange or other brand that can coop with a reactive load :)

Thanks again and i hope to hear from Two Notes soon concerning a MOD...

I managed to find a Mini-recto 25 head that i'll get on Monday so we will be able to make sure everything is OK with the mod, don't worry. ;)

Actually it's more in the high frequency that you lose with a resistive loadbox, so it usually sounds "warmer".

A side effect of the resistive loadboxes (depending on the power amp schematics actually) is that the power amp can enter into distortion faster, meaning less clean tone.

guillaume_pille":2jgf5mdf said:
I managed to find a Mini-recto 25 head that i'll get on Monday so we will be able to make sure everything is OK with the mod, don't worry. ;)

Actually it's more in the high frequency that you lose with a resistive loadbox, so it usually sounds "warmer".

A side effect of the resistive loadboxes (depending on the power amp schematics actually) is that the power amp can enter into distortion faster, meaning less clean tone.
The Mini Recto Twenty-Five is according to Mesa Boogie the same design but only without the reverb so that would be a good starting point!

With the Cab Clone i felt i lost some low end either (maybe my own perception of sound and feel) but overall it feels less dynamic when comparing it with a real speaker or the Reload @ 10 watt setting. And the amp will break up much sooner as you describe, but this is not always a bad thing. A big plus is that the Cab Clone works best with a Mesa amp:)

I can't say it enough but i really appreciate the way Two Notes picks up this problem and are determined to find a solution!

From the gear page forum:

sysexguy said:
Do you still have the CabClone? If so, could you try the CabClone and the Reload (both 8ohm) in parallel using the 2 4Ohm jacks, monitoring via the Reload and see if the issue is still present and if the sound is to your liking. With amps, often the best sounds are when the "train is running on 2 wheels" and this may be just enough of a change to arrest the motorboating without compromising the sound or requiring any internal mods.

I still have the Cab Clone and did what you said...

...and, this is the best of both worlds!! It works and sounds like a charm with this dual load box setup. I've checked by using the EQ plugin within my DAW if there was still some rumble left, but everything is fine and no motorboating. Maybe for alot of folks not a cheap solution but for me this is really great. You really made my day, thank you very much sir sysexguy! This week i will see if this keeps working but i think this is the perfect solution for my problem. And another nice touch is that i can use this setup to create a 'true' stereo cabinet setup with IR software by using both line-outs of the Reload and Cab Clone :)

OK, well, so far we weren't able to reproduce the issue here with this configuration:

recto_reload.jpg

Bruno will follow up on the Help Desk but so far we are puzzled... :confused:

guillaume_pille":3vcorjn3 said:
OK, well, so far we weren't able to reproduce the issue here with this configuration:

recto_reload.jpg

Bruno will follow up on the Help Desk but so far we are puzzled... :confused:
I've heard the news :-/ I think it's best to ship my Reload to your office at Two Notes! I've discussed your findings with Bruno and maybe the Mesa's RectoVerb power tubes are biased hotter or the sensitivity of the Reload is a bit off? I've already measured and send Bruno the readings of all the impedance settings of the Reload. Don't know if this is any help? Either way, when you've got my Reload and the issue can't also be reproduced with the Mesa Recto Twenty-Five at your office it has to be my Mesa RectoVerb 25!

On a side note: did you play the amp with a guitar? I don't see a guitar attached? My mesa will only slam into motorboating when you start playing the guitar at the 25 watt setting...

Back