Long output cable from Torpedo Live to sound card

carruw

I want to record my Torpedo Live and the computer and sound card is far away due to room layout, circa 15 meters.

Since it's not a good idea to use such long instrument cables, would using a XLR-converter box be the best solution?
I've been looking at the Radial SGI (http://www.radialeng.com/sgi.php). Have any of you faced similar problems? And if so, how did you solved it?

Thanks for helping.

The Torpedo's out is balanced TRS so you get a suitable length TRS to XLR M cable and extend with regular mic cable as or if required. The Radial SGI or similar products like the Littlelabs STD are great to run a guitar signal over a long distance, for example if you placed the amp and Torpedo together close to the soundcard and wanted to be a far distance from that (plugging in between the guitar and the amp input).

I've used a littlelabs STD through over a 100' of snake for a series of sessions and it worked just great.

If your soundcard has unbalanced inputs, it would be best if you had a device that could receive the balanced signal from the Torpedo and then give you a short unbalanced run to the soundcard. A Radial J-Iso or Pro-Iso would fit the bill at a reasonable cost(Pro-Iso) and ease of install.

Andy

I'm using a MBox 2 which has TRS line and XLR inputs.

Are you saying that due to the Torpedo ouput being balanced there is no need for any converter? Just a TRS tele to XLR cable?

just get a TRS to TRS cable, good quality or better that's long enough and you'll be good to go. If you need a specific length, Redco.com amongst others is a good choice for custom cables.

As soon as you buy a good quality TRS cable, I see no problem with driving 15m of cable with the Torpedo Live balanced output.

Back