C.A.B hiss

bshaw92

Ok, I've got everything setup...I think. I've had some white noise that I've been fighting for a while. I have an AMT SS-11A going into my CAB. When I turn off the power amp the hiss goes away. I have tried all inputs and all outputs and minimized the hiss using line input and line output. The hiss is maxed obviously when on channel 3 which is the highest gain and almost gone (not completely though) when on the clean channel. After checking everything I cannot think of anything else to do so I added a Mooer Noise Killer after the CAB. If there is anything else to try let me know. It's covered with the Noise gate, but I'm curious if there might be something I didn't try that would also work.

Hi bshaw92,

the high gain channel on the SS11 has a lot of gain, and in the power amp of Torpedo C.A.B. you can add up to 20dBs of gain, too. So it is perfectly normal that at some point you experience the kind of noise that comes with so much gain.

If you switch off the AMT you will find that C.A.B. does not add noise.

I am not a big fan of noise gates with only one input one output (the best is the ones with a loop, so you can put the noisy stuff in said loop). I would try to put it between the AMT and the C.A.B., just to see if it's better than after the C.A.B. (it should be, actually).

Tested between the AMT and CAB and was able to reduce the limit slightly, thus helping the clean channel not be clipped when playing lightly...so far.
Thanks for the help.

Channel 1 Gain @ 9:00
Channel 2 Gain @ 9:00
Channel 3 Gain @ 12:00

If you want my advice,the only noise gates that work properly, to me, are the ones with a loop.

They use the clean guitar sound direct from the guitar to detect the level, and cut the noise on what is in the loop. The dynamics of a high gain signal are too weak, so when you feed that to your noise gate, the threshold has to be set at a higher value (meaning cutting too much).

Not saying the NS2 is perfect, but that is the best drawing I found:

bossns2loop.jpg

Back