Where have the output options gone?

Raven

I have a quick question for Guillaume & co. If you guys don't mind...

Since the update to the new firmware, I can't for the life of me figure out where the output options have gone as they don't seem to appear in the main setup menu anymore!? I'd quite often toggle between wet/dry or wet/wet depending on the particular application in which I was using my VB-101 & seen as there doesn't seem to be an updated user manual available yet I'd be grateful if you could confirm where this option had been moved to?

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi raven, as the unit is now Stereo we had to change the way it works.

So having one dry channel means switching OFF the A or B channel, go to SPKR/MIC and switch off power amp and spkr/mic, then switch off the Post FX on the desired channel.

Having bot the option in the SETUP and the channel themselves could lead to serious issue to the user (trying to understand why there is no simulation even with the channel ON, for example).

I'm finishing the Torpedo Studio manual, the latest VB-101 firmware is almost the same, Ill update it after.

Cool; that makes sense, luckily I don't use any poweramp simulation or post effects, so it should just be a case of toggling on/off the speaker/mic emulation in my case. Thanks for the reply. :)

Actually Guillaume, I've just thought of a complication...

I use multi-micing for my sound (same cab, but different mics on each channel, with a third blended in after the fact using WOS III). I always used to send a wet mix of both channels via the left output & a dry feed for use with WOS III via the right. Will the new firmware prevent me from doing this? If so, then that is a problem... To confirm, I want to continue using multi-miking within the VB-101 while also being able to provide a dry feed for use with WOS III & all signals are being sent to my audio interface via SPDIF (it's not possible for my audio interface to accept both SPDIF & analogue signals at the same time).

Well, I'm always struggling with making the VB-101 close to impossible to use because of its complexity and offering more options.

In that firmware we decided that for the "test take", the WET coming form the VB-101, having 1 mike was enough. As you can put as many microphones as you want in WoS III with the DRY take.

I have not the slightest idea about what would look the interface on the VB-101 if we make it compatible with the old Dry/wet setup, but it's not an easy thing to do. It's worth the thinking, we can alway add a parameter in the setup like before, but if the rest of the unit stays the same, some people (guitar tech, backliners, even in the studio if several users share the product)may change that settings and the next user won't have a clue about what happened, and send back the unit for repair. Believe me, that's what will happen. ;)

So if we have to go back on that we have to make it OBVIOUS and EASY. :confused:

Hmmm, I see what you're saying, a head-scratcher indeed! On the plus side though; overall the new firmware is great, I'm liking the fact that it now operates the same way as the WOS plugin, it makes it easier to replicate the sounds in the software realm (it was always a bit laborious to match things up before as they were so similar, yet different in key ways). Maybe I can get around the limitations of the new output options with a little thought on the DAW end. What I used to do is use the dry track to create 2 separate micing options which where then panned at 10-2 & used as the main guitar sound, I then mixed in the original wet mono blend at low volume in a different place in the stereo field in order to fatten things up a bit. Perhaps I could now use the 2 seperate wet tracks from the VB-101 as the main 10-2 sound, & then copy those 2 tracks & bounce them down to mono in my DAW in order to achieve that 3rd background track. This way I wouldn't actually need to use WOS at all then for the guitar sound (although the safety blanket of a dry track would be gone of course). Hmmm, sounds like I've got some experimenting to do! Haha.

Well, you could use WoS only, too, and find a preset that can be close in VB-101 if you have to move with your sound.

Meaning, send the WET test track on track one, and send the DRY on several channels in the DAW if you don't want to do everything on a single WoS III preset.

But i'll keep thinking about the option and how we could implement it in the new routing. As I'm writing the manual I may find something.

Back