Recording with two or more Torpedoes

wizard_23

Hi folks,

I understand there are multiple ways to do it, but can anyone help with suggestions for running two Torpedoes into my DAW simultaneously?

For example I want to have a VB101 for a guitar rig as well as a bass player playing at the same time through a 2nd VB101, both outputting stereo channels into my DAW - Logic in this instance.

I really like the conversion on the VB101's so ideally would like to connect through digital outs, but I note that most audio interfaces I see seem to only have one AES/EBU or SP/DIF input.

Is anyone using some sort of AES/EBU router or soundcard connection that avoids interface preamps and converters whilst allowing for two or more connections? Alternatively, is there an expander I could hook up to the interface via ADAT that allows for multiple AES/EBU connections and doesn't break the bank?

Thanks! Nick

I don't have one of these units yet, but I did notice they have both an AES/EBU and SPDIF connections. If you have an SPDIF connection, you can connect one using the AES/EBU and the other as the SPDIF connection. You'd get a stereo digital feed for each, if I'm not mistaken, since these are exclusive connections that output in digital stereo.

I know it was a post you did a while ago, but I figured I'd reply anyway, since I'm searching for something of the same scenario, except I need 2 load boxes since I run a stereo power-amp, want to run stereo live, and these only have single load inputs.

I hope it helps...

You may want to find a used Alesis AI-4 which converts 4 Aes lines to ADAT. Some sound cards will only accept ADAT up to 48kHz so that may be an issue if you want to work at 96kHz.

There are some higher end interfaces that will allow multiple Aes inputs but many that have an AES and a SPDIF input are made to be either one or the other but not both at once. Whatever you use, the VB-101's have a word clock input which will be likely required to assure the system is clocked properly.

Some interfaces with multiple digital ins available simultaneously (with proper clocking necessary:) Lynx Aurora (with applicable card to DAW), Lynx E44, metricHalo Uln-8 and LIO-8, several RME interfaces (the $$$ ones), apogee ensemble TB or UA Apollo (both required spdif to optical converters), Avid HD Omni

I haven't tried the latest firmware but I believe it may be possible to take one unit's direct out into the other's line input and then route the 2 mono signals either with or without speaker emulation to the digital output and DAW. This may allow you to use a simpler soundcard without clocking complications or extra expense.

If you want stereo processing of each instrument you could record dry to DAW and either use WOSIII for the speaker emulation or take turns sending and returning via the digital i/o to print your speaker emulation.

Cheapest options would be to find an AI-4 or equivalent or a legacy soundcard from RME or lynx with multiple AES inputs.

Thank you Andy for the exhaustive answer!

I haven't tried the latest firmware but I believe it may be possible to take one unit's direct out into the other's line input and then route the 2 mono signals either with or without speaker emulation to the digital output and DAW. This may allow you to use a simpler soundcard without clocking complications or extra expense.

There is an Amp + Line input selection on the VB-101 and studio, but with the stereo mode you can have the dry/wet options. Meaning on the channel with the VB-101 1 signal you will bypass all the processing, and on the other channel of VB-101 2 you will have 1 cabinet and microphone to work with.

In other words, the stereo mode is 1 cabinet and 1 microphone per channel, and you will discard the processing on the channel receiving the VB-101 1 signal.

If you won't my opinion, the best would be to have an audio interface with several AES inputs, or an AES to ADAT converter as Andy suggested, but I'd rather use the Line output on both VB-101 to get all the option that stereo can give you rather to try to chain them and lose the options.

Back