Connecting a Torpedo Live directly to a (2ch) Power Amp

xiwiwix

I'll be getting a 2 channel Power amp (pa power amp) and a dbx 231s 2 channel eq.

My question, how would I go about connecting my Torpedo Live to both channels of the eq?

Split (L&R) the balanced line output(TRS)?
Line output (Ch1) & and Headphone output (Ch2)?

I'll be powering 2 passive speakers. (not bridging)
EDIT: I don't want to bridge the power amp, so that's not an option.

Sometime next year I'll be getting some stereo fx's (between the TL and EQ) which is the reason I want a stereo setup.

Even though it may be easier, I don't want to use powered speakers.

I'll be using a Bogner Uberschall pedal as a pre.

Uber Pedal>TL>EQ>PowerAmp>Speakers

I'm a noob when it comes to PA gear, and I haven't used my TL for anything out than recording (TriRec and HD500). If more info is need to help better answer my question, please just let me know. I don't want to screw up any of my gear.

I love my TL. Sound amazing! I prefer how my TL + TriRec + BX8a sound than my TriRec and Marshall 4x12.

These are the power amp eq that I plan on buying.

Attachments

• dbx_231s.jpg
    dbx_231s.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,416
  • CrownXLS-2000PowerAmplifier.jpg
    CrownXLS-2000PowerAmplifier.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 1,414
I re-worded my post because I have donkey brains and I feel how I ask below is more cohesive.

I'll be getting a 2 channel Power amp (pa power amp) and a 2 channel eq, that will power 2 passive speakers.

I would like to connect my Torpedo Live to both channels of the eq.

How would I do that?

Sometime mid to late next year I'll be getting some stereo fx's (between the TL and EQ) which is the reason I want a stereo setup.

I'll be using a Bogner Uberschall pedal as a pre.

Uber Pedal>TL>(Future FX>)EQ>PowerAmp>Speakers

That'll work, later with the effects unit you can usuall enter in mono in an effects unit so no need for a splitter.

In that situation a Y cable spit should work without any issue I can think of.

Both outputs share the same volume control but one is Line level/impedance and the other is designed to drive a headphones, so that won't work properly.

Thank you for the answer guillaume_pille!

I already have a Y cable ready to go. I wanted to verify.

That's what I was thinking about the FX unit.

If you split the headphones output, you'll get you two exactly identical signals. Very low impedance, but that shouldn't be a problem expect in a very noisy environment. That's a good solution.

If you split the line Output, you'll get inverted polarity signals. You could use this but you would probably have to invert one of them somewhere after, in the EQ or power amp.

Bruno is talking about a "real" splitter 1 X TRS 1/4" -> 2 X TS 1/4". In that case the polarity is inverted on one of the two TS.

If you build a TRS -> 2 X TRS and have the 2 X TRS in parallel, what I offered previously will work.

If all that I'm saying is gibberish, print it and hand the document to a technician that will build that cable for you. ;)

Thank you guillaume_pille and Basstyra.

@guillaume_pille, it's understandable gibberish. :D

Ok, now here's another question.

Can I use 1 X TRS 1/4" -> 2 X TS 1/4 (polarity can be inverted on one with a switch on a/b/y pedal I'll be using) into the input of my Torpedo Live?

I have an A/B/Y pedal and want to switch between two different pre amp pedals into my Torpedo Live.

Guitar > JX-2 > pre amp pedal (1) + pre amp pedal (2) > Torpedo Live

Attachments

• switchbone-top-lrg.jpg
    switchbone-top-lrg.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,329
You`d be better off running each pre amp in a manner such that the unused one is out of the signal path ie any pre-amp noise isn`t added to the signal. Instead of selecting one of two and having them merge into the Torpedo, better to switch between the two

There are many products that can manage this, for starters you can check out the Lehle DLoop sGos, Radial BigshotEFX and the One Control White Loop. The Lehle (once set-uo to do so) and the One control can switch between the 2 preamps with a single button press which is an advantage. The Lehle also has the advantage that it, with the Torpedo can be slaved to midi so you could have a single foot controller automate the whole rig.

nb: if you were using amp heads instead of pre-amps, the switching required is a bit more complex and you`s need to assure both heads are always correctly loaded. There are products that do this, in fact a search here will pull up some earlier posts on the topic.

Andy

Thanks for the input Andy. I bought a One Control Iguana II thinking it would work but the switches are on/off not monetary. Fail me. :\ I guess I'll be getting the One Control White Loop.

For a temporary solution (over the weekend) can I still use the JX-2 with out harming my Torpedo Live?

You could also use the programable version CHAMAELEO TAIL LOOP MARK II which would give you additional loops for pedals etc.

A momentary switch is something a bit different..I assume you are looking for a switch where a single press will activate one pre-amp and deactivate the other.

Running an insert cable from 2 pre-amps into a balanced input would work ie sound would come out but it is hardly good practice. You could also try a Y or jumper cable into both pre-amp inputs and the select the outputs with the JX-2 (I think it will work)

Thank you for the reply sysexguy.

The One Control Chamaeleo is the next step up from the One Control Iguana Tail, in terms of price and I'm short right now. You assumed correctly, as that's what I was looking for. I thought I saw some one using the Iguana Tail but they were using Chamaeleo. <-I went back and rewatched the youtube video today.

I ran the setup like this : Guitar > JX-2 > pre amp pedal (1) + pre amp pedal (2) > Torpedo Live : and it worked great. The high gain pre was completely quite while my clean was selected.

I have 4 pre's that I want to run so we'll see what I end up doing/can afford. I may have to go for the One Control White Loop in the mean time as I save up for the Chamaelo.

Thank you everyone for helping me and giving me such great advice.

Back