[Torpedo Studio] User's manual

"The Torpedo Studio features a loadbox which is mono, but can handle either two Analog Line or Digital inputs, or a combination of the amp and Line inputs."

So, if I am reading this correctly, does this mean that the Torpedo Studio CANNOT be used with a stereo power amplifier?

Something like a Mesa 295/395/Strategy could only be used in mono and not stereo?

So, if I am reading this correctly, does this mean that the Torpedo Studio CANNOT be used with a stereo power amplifier?

You are correct, the loadbox is mono, so it will work with mono power amplifiers.

Most stereo power amps can work in mono as soon as they have a bypass on each channel, and some are even bridgeable.

If you worry about your effects that you usually put between your preamp and the power amp, we often recommend to put that kind of effet AFTER the miking, meaning after the Torpedo. Like you would put them in the Aux send of a mixer.

Great news!

I do have a question.

In my studio, the Torpedo Studio will be rack mounted and inaccessible from the rear. If I have a speaker cable from the Topredo Studio Speaker Out (Thru) running to a Cab, how can I turn off or control the speaker volume?

In the manual, it states:

Once you plug a cabinet into the THRU output:
1. The amplifier is directly connected to the cabinet,
2. The internal loadbox of the Torpedo Studio is disconnected.

So, since I can't get to the cable behind the rack easily, and want to record silently without the physical cabinet, how is can the speaker be bypassed?
Perhaps this is in the manual, but I could not find anything specific.

Thanks
Rennaker

Well, you have seen everything there is to see in the manual. It is not possible to disconnect the cabinet from a software action.

We chose not to offer that option to prevent from bad manipulation that could result to fried amplifiers, the only way is to unplug the 1/4" in the speaker THRU output.

Argh! That a shame....I'm disappointed....
My studio engineer tells me we have to pass on this unit. Bummer, really thought it would be a premier solution for our studio.

Thanks

All my best,
Rennaker

In a studio situation, the Reload in conjunction with WOSIII or any hardware Torpedo would be perfect in that you could maintain a connected cab and at will, select how much it is activated without any re-patching behind the unit.

You could also run the Torpedo in parallel to your cabinet and leave it plugged in back of the Studio. You would have to plug/unplug the real cab behind your head and select the matching impedance depending on what you are doing.

Back