power amp sim versus real?

dmp

Has anyone out there done A/B recordings with the Torpedo power amp simulators versus a real power amp? I've been using a Randall RM4 with a Torpedo (power amp sim + speaker sim) for recording -- and have been loving it -- but am curious if there'd be any tone benefit to picking up a real power amp. I don't think I recall reading a single criticism of their power amp sim, so I'm guessing there'd just be less flexibility and more money maintaining the tubes. :) Does anyone have experience with this?

Not recordings per se, but listening tests in pro environments with pro engineers, and I agree that the Torpedo's tube power amps sims are simply awesome (I use custom Egnater/Randall MTS with a Torpedo as well, best of both worlds!).

The only notable difference I found was that the transient response of some real tube amps was greater than the digital sim's, but since I like sagging tube power amps working in their sweet spots I'm perfectly happy with the Torpedo's tube power amp sim's feel.

The main advantages are size and weight (no big iron and heavy chassis to support it), and the ability to crush the Torpedo's tube power amp sims at any SPL (either DI'd via it's cab sim or used sans cab sim with lightweight solid state power amps and guitar cabs).

This is a HUGE advantage over the real deal IMHO!

I tend to start with the presence up high and work from there when working with the tube power amp sims.

Enjoy...

dmp":2nwjs3gk said:
Has anyone out there done A/B recordings with the Torpedo power amp simulators versus a real power amp? I've been using a Randall RM4 with a Torpedo (power amp sim + speaker sim) for recording -- and have been loving it -- but am curious if there'd be any tone benefit to picking up a real power amp. I don't think I recall reading a single criticism of their power amp sim, so I'm guessing there'd just be less flexibility and more money maintaining the tubes. :) Does anyone have experience with this?

Back