Torpedo Reload DI and Amp + Attentuator same time?

napnap

hi,

i got the reload yesterday and played around with it a bit, but i cannot figure out if (and how) its possible to record a clean DI track to the DAW and at the same time have the amp and cab running with the attentuator (for tracking). is this even possible?

thanks for answers.

You can either use a Y cable or send back via replay from the DAW.

Today, all Daw's have an automatic mode when tracking so that the DAW latency doesn't affect the monitoring so a DAW out can feed the replay in. Take a DAW out back into Replay Line In and Amp Out to your amp

You could also place a Y cable after your guitar or last pedal and the Reload guitar in. Any stereo pedal on bypass makes for a quick and easy Y cable.

It may also be possible to take a Y from the Reload DI out to DAW and to amp. Note: you don't want to load only one leg of the balanced line so I would avoid this method.

Andy

Hi,

I'd like to add that when sending the signal back via Replay you will have to take into account the following:
  • 1) Every time your signal enters the audio interface via analog inputs it goes through an Analog to Digital conversion (AD). Similarly, when the signal exists the interface via analog outputs it goes through a Digital to Analog (DA) conversion. This process will have an effect on the signal quality (according to the quality of your AD/DA converters).
    2) The AD/DA process introduces latency which you will most likely hear (or "feel" when playing) when the signal will go back to Reload
    3) In addition, when you record the Loadbox output into your DAW you add further latency (since there is the final AD conversion that is happening).

As a result you will need to readjust the Loadbox output recording to match the DI on your DAW.

I'd suggest two solutions (based on the Y cable method proposed by Andy:)
  • 1) Use a good quality dedicated DI box in front of your Guitar to send the balanced signal to your audio interface's preamp and use the high impedance output to send it to your amp. Then connect your speaker out of your amp to the Reload.
    2) Use a good quality splitter to split the guitar signal and feed one end to the Reload and the other to the amp.

In my opinion, this is the best option.

I'd like to add whether in a future version of Reload it will be possible to split the signal without having to use the aforementioned. That would trully make this a spectacular device!

Using the Y cable has the disadvantage that as a passive split, neither the DI or the amp gets 100% of the signal. If this signal is buffered, then the signal would normally have make up gain available.

Most a/d/a and daws can provide monitoring while tracking with tiny latencies that aren't discernible and do not hinder performance. The Reload as a fully analog device does not add latency. Finally, upon playback, the DAW would compensate. If you wished to combine the mic'd attenuated amp with a loadbox track with WOSIII, your Daw can easily provide you with tools to measure any required offsets so the tracks line up.

I would also note that if your DAW has an analog insert post pre-amp or you are using an external pre-amp, that would be an ideal spot to put a Y to replay in with signal loss optimized to minimum.

Back