Torpedo Live makes Buzz/Hum - SOLVED

Loc9

SOLVED - grounding issue. Thanks for your help!

I'm using a UA Apollo Quad interface with the Torpedo Live going from the Line Out to the Apollo's Hi-Z input on the front (I've used the Line In on the back to the same effect as well). The Torpedo doesn't need to be powered on and it transmits a buzz/hum as shown in the pic 2 below (analog 1 level - lower left corner - all levels are the same between the 2 pix). Of course when it's powered on it also will transmit the noise. Now, I can run direct into the Apollo Quad and no noise is made - so it's no the Hi-Z input on the Apollo.

This problem has been intermittent since sometimes there's no noise (pic 1 - note the time, 2 hours later, everything set the same). So I'm thinking there's something going on with the Line Out on the Torpedo Live since when I unplug from the Line Out the noise is gone... yup, even if the Torpedo Live unit is off.

This has been plaguing me for some time now since I also thought it could be my amp but as explained above, the amp doesn't need to be on and the noise is there. I've checked for any environmental noise, i.e. fans, ac, lights, etc, and there is none. :confused:

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Love the Live when it's not making noise!

Hello Loc9,

The only thing I can think of that could cause this kind of behavior is the earth connection. It's the one and only thing that is connected when the Torpedo Live is off.

If you just unplug the power cord from the Live, does the noise disappear ? And what if you unplug the amp from the Live ?
If you remove the Live, then plug another earthed device to the same earthed wall outlet, and to the Apollo, is the noise present ?
Do you use balanced or unbalanced cables ?

Basstyra":qf8bz529 said:
Hello Loc9,

The only thing I can think of that could cause this kind of behavior is the earth connection. It's the one and only thing that is connected when the Torpedo Live is off.

If you just unplug the power cord from the Live, does the noise disappear ? And what if you unplug the amp from the Live ?
If you remove the Live, then plug another earthed device to the same earthed wall outlet, and to the Apollo, is the noise present ?
Do you use balanced or unbalanced cables ?
Thanks for the response. I'm away from my computer at the moment but I'll make sure I do all that and report back. :)

UPDATE: Solved. Thanks for your help Basstyra!

Back