Torpedo Live & Ownhammer Cabs ?

Detroit ABA

Is the miking features of the torpedo live defeated when using user cabs such as the Ownhammer mix cabs with multiple mics already mixed into IR?

The mic sonic signature is embedded within the IR and is static, ie you cannot move or change the mic. This is why a library such as Ownhammer has so many files. Once you find the one(s) you like, you're all set if that's what you prefer.

What quality differences do I have to expect, as stated in the manual the IRs are truncated?

from the manual, about using third-party IRs:
2. Troncation at 18,66 ms
As I read in another forum this can change the sound and is inferior to using the IR with an axefx, is there a way to circumvent this?
Does this truncation also happen when I import a 3rd party IR into BlendIR and make a TUR file out of it?
How does WOS III handle this? I can't imagine that it would behave like this in the plugin.

What you may have read in other forums is what suits the other forum's product sales and marketing. There has been lots of discussion of IR length as it pertains to emulating guitar cabinets, here, on TGP and elsewhere and you won't have any problems with the Torpedo. If you are looking for reverb and space simulation, there are lots of great options that work perfectly with Torpedo.

As you can download WOSIII and BlendIR, you can easily listen for yourself.

Thanks, well it was the forum of a competitor, so yeah..
I was more concerned about IRs of ambient mics, but I guess I'll try it out myself.

As I read in another forum this can change the sound and is inferior to using the IR with an axefx, is there a way to circumvent this?

Rather than reading forums (that we all do of course ^^) you can try that assertion for yourself. There are a lot of IR reader plugins, even one free in Reaper, that allow you to change the IR length.

The sound signature of a cabinet is contained in less than 20ms and what will come after that value is the room sound, ie reverb. This is a simplification (and some will talk to you about the resolution of the IR, even if they don't start to understand what is the link between the resolution and the sound you hear), but the best is you try for yourself and give us your opinion afterwards. ;)

Note: For example, a 96KHz IR (like the ones we use) of a length L, will have a lower resolution that a 44,1Khz IR of the same length L. But a higher bandwidth.

Back