Tone matching wit Torpedo CAB and Pod HD500x

That's great, just to make sure I understand, the IR is the derived (in Ozone) from the difference between a similar gained patch in the L6 and the original track, so that when it is loaded into the CAB, you have something really, really close to the original?

yes thats exactly right.
I use the pod with full power amp and cab. try and get as close as possible. Then the eq difference that ozone makes in tone matching can be made into an IR for torpedo

Hi stevieguitar,

thank you for that. I'm 100% sure a step by step procedure would be of much interest for the community. ;)

Here is a step by step:
1. Find a guitar sound you want to emulate
This needs to be an isolated guitar track, somewhere in a song like the intro where the guitar is on it's own with no drums or other instruments. Or if you can find a youtube video or mog file of the guitar track.

2. Put that track onto a channel of you daw it's best if this is mono, if it's not mono make it mono in the daw.

3. Using a full rig setup on the pod (preamp, power amp and cab) listen carefully to the source track and and try your best to emulate the source sound. Work out if the distortion is modern or vintage in character. Are you hearing more pre or power amp distortion. Does the amp need any shaping pre gain to drive mids? Get the gain right and establish what stomps are in use on the source track. (Chorus delay reverb etc) and match them. Dont worry too much at this stage about getting the eq exactly right but it will help to be in the aproximate ball park with eq.

4. Learn to play the source track. When you are ready to record change the cab on your pod patch to no cab and record yourself playing it dircetly after the source on the same channel in your daw. Match the volume on your pod patch so it records at around the same level as the source track.

5. Put an instance of Ozone as an insert on the channel. Turn off all the modules in Ozone except eq but make sure it is flat. In the options tab of Ozone set Freq. Res to 3Hz and buffer size to max.

6. In the Eq tab of Ozone click on the snapshots tab (set Snapshot time to Infinite). While the source is playing make a snapshot then while your version is playing make a second snapshot.

7. Click on the matching tab and set amount to 100 and smooth to 0. Match from = second snapshot Apply to = first snapshot. Then click Matching.

8. Now when you play your recording back it will sound exactly like the source. Next we make an IR

9. I use a free stand alone program to make IRs called Voxengo Deconvolver. Launch Voxego and click test tone gen. Make sure to set the
bit depth and freq to the same as you daw settings and select mono. Save the test file and load it into the channel of your daw that was used to do the tone match. (maybe duplicate the track and delete the recording from it)

10. Now when that track plays back you'll hear the test file being affected by the Ozone tone match. Turn it down until it plays back without any clipping. Export/render/ freeze (whatever you need to do on your daw to export the affected test file.

11. You should have 2 files saved - the test tone and the affected test tone. Launch Voxego again and direct the first drop down to your test file and the second drop down to your affected test file. Click Process. This will make the IR

12. Launch the Torpedo software. Under Managers/Memory Manager click on bank User0. Then click folder icon and find the folder where the IR is saved. Drag the IR across from the folder window into the Torped CAB window and click quit.

13. Turn off P.Amp and EQ. In the cab section click user Use the drop down to selct the IR. Save this patch to wherever you want on the Torpedo CAB.

14. Hook up the Torpedo cab into the FX loop of the Pod. Add the FX loop as part of the pod patch. Set the fx return level to compensate for the loss in volume caused by the IR. You now have a pod patch that sounds very very close to you favourite guitarist!!!

Sorry guys if this appears long and complicated but after you do it a few times you'll realize it's actually quite straight forward and simple to do. I use Voxego for Deconvolver and Ozone for tone match but I'm sure there are alternatives that will work just as well. I'm not claiming to have invented this process or anything I learned how to do it on youtube from other guys

stevieguitar":gufej5qw said:
Sorry guys if this appears long and complicated but after you do it a few times you'll realize it's actually quite straight forward and simple to do. I use Voxego for Deconvolver and Ozone for tone match but I'm sure there are alternatives that will work just as well. I'm not claiming to have invented this process or anything I learned how to do it on youtube from other guys

Hi stevieguitar and everyone! I'm from Argentina and I just bought an used Torpedo Cab... almost because of you! :worship:

I don't have a PODHD but I have a Roland VG99 and in a few minutes to try it with TC connect in the line out... I couldn't believe the sounds!!!! I didn't like very much de amp sim of the VG99 but with the Torpedo Cab is amazing!!!

I'm self-taught and I don't play the guitar like a pro but I hope to create the same sounds as stevieguitar with his (I have to improve my knowledge and train my ears. And besides my English is not very good, as you can read! :D
Two Notes should be honored him for this video!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Sorry for my english and best regards from Argentina!!

Pato Loco.

We are very happy when people don't stop at the user's manual and find new ways to use the gear, and in that case it's an awesome way to improve his Pod.

Line 6 was aware and it's one of the reason why the new Helix has an improved speaker sim section.

We at Two notes know for a long time that this stage, the speaker sim, is one of the most important and certainly shouldn't be neglected. ;)

Man this is really awesome! I have been wanting to do something similar in process for matching my actual amps with the Helix! You have inspired me to move forward for sure!

Back