Torpedo Live Volume Dropout Issue

Edit321

So I have had my second gig with the Torpedo Live and I am having a volume issue. I am loosing some serious volume from time to time. My setup is as follows:

From my guitar I am going straight into a Marshall 410HJS. From the Marshall I am using an Axe Fx 2 in its effects loop using simple patches that contain only delay and reverb. From the 8ohm jack of the Marshall I am going into the 8ohm input of the Torpedo live. From the torpedo live I'm going from the line out into a Makie mixer that goes to FOH. From the mixer I monitor the mix through in-ear monitors.

When the volume issue happens I can see that the lights on the input meter level drops on the torpedo. Please help! Really digging the tone I am getting when it works!

You may need to simplify the set up to help diagnose the root of the issue. If so, be sure to change only one variable at a time to isolate the culprit.

Cables are a likely culprit, label each one so you can keep track as you swap.

Does the issue occur at a repeatable moment...like a certain chord, setting, effect?

Does the axe f/x have any auto leveling function?

Is your f/x loop running at unity gain? You need to see the same level whether the axe f/x is plugged in or not

If you can generate the problem, check the back of the amp,do the output tubes look different when this occurs?

I'd consider connecting the axe f/x post Torpedo using the Torpedo's digital out to the axe digital in (with a proper SPDIF cable). This will likely sound better and offer lower overall latency.

If the issue is with Torpedo, the first thing would be to clean the line level jack with compressed air while plugging in and out. This jack deactivates the amp input and if there is something foreign in the contacts, may be the reason you have an issue. I would consider this a possibility but cables or settings are more likely the issue.

I am at home trying to recreate the issue. I have everything the same except no mixer. Instead I have the output of the torpedo going to a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and monitoring it from the headphones of the Scarlett. So far I am unable to recreate the volume drop. Everything sounds fine. This would lead me to believe its the mixer but I have had the same issue with another mixer as well.

To answer your questions:

I have not been able to recognize a common point where the issue occurs. Seems random at this point.

There are no level controlling functions on my AxeFX.

I will try effects post torpedo using SPDIF as you suggested.

Hard to say at this point. haha

Not sure if this is related in anyways but when I have my torpedo connect to the remote software and change patches my pic selectionon the software changes to a mic call "Knighfall". When I check the aeictual Torpedo it says the correct mic C87. I check the listing of mics on the website and Knightfall doesn't appear to be on the list. Weird.

That may be a Remote issue and I'd recommend starting a support ticket.

Knightfall is a Blue Dragonfly and is used in all the first 55-ish Torpedo files however with some of the newer Capture Master Torpedo cabinets, the mic selection per cabinet is different. This is something that users had requested and look for more choices as the available library expands in 2015.

Is Remote connected when you play live? Also, are you in Edit mode when playing live?

No I don't have Remote connected when playing live. I assume the torpedo is in live "perform" mode when you power it up with out it being connected to remote?

Back