New Torpedo Reload user - fan question

mateias72

Hi all,

Just picked up a Torpedo Reload, had been playing around with it just as an attenuator. Wow - it is very impressive. It keeps the characteristics of my valve amps even at whisper volumes.

Messing around with the Reload just as an attenuator with a 60-watt Fender Super Sonic combo, and it was a lovely sound. Noticed the fan never came on.

However just started to try recording with the Torpedo going into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 - noticed the fan came on... didn't think 60 watts would be enough to overheat the unit?

It was only running this way for about 10 minutes, in a fairly cool, well-ventilated room.

Also... just want to be sure I'm doing this correctly after having read the manual - to record directly to the DAW I run from the load box out XLR, correct? I'm not using the Reload input, rather going into my amp's input with the guitar.

Thanks!

Hi mateias72,

didn't think 60 watts would be enough to overheat the unit?

Hopefully we do not wait for the unit to overheat before starting the fan. ;) We want to protect the unit, so we make sure the inside stays cool, too.

to record directly to the DAW I run from the load box out XLR, correct?

That is correct! The DI output only works if there is a guitar plugged at the input, and the Replay when you do a reamping.

Super - thanks guys for the replies.

I usually don't read manuals (typical man) but this time I want to be sure I respect the technology and do it right. :-D

Getting it to work with Logic and the Focusrite is a bit of a learning curve for me... the levels are really high in Logic, no matter what I record the levels are really hot and there is a lot of clipping.

I've backed off everything on the Focusrite and in Logic - but I think the volume on the amp itself must be too loud, I'll try backing off that and record again.

That is more of an issue with the DAW than the Reload (and my lack of general experience with Logic). I used to use Pro Tools and mess about with GarageBand; I find doing simple things in Logic quite counterintuitive... like monitoring what I'm playing!

Anyway - thanks again for the help!

The output level of the Reload is linked to the amp volume.

usually, what you can do is:

- put the -15dB pad on the Reload Loadbox aoutput
- lower the gain on your audio interface microphone input, some of them even have another pad

The output signal of the Reload can be quite hot, but hopefully with a couple pads it gets better. ;) Or simply plug the loadbox output to a Line input, that will work perfectly. If you have 1/4" line inputs, use an XLR- TRS 1/4" cable and that will work great too.

I bought the Reload recently as well. It is really a great unit. I think the fan comes on immediately when you turn it on but it is not noisy or anything. I even used it with 180w Diezel Herbert for several hours and it didn't get hot at all. I really love it. Attenuator is perfect, DI recording is perfect and WoS is really an amazing software. I am only having trouble with Reamping, I need to find a way to reduce noise because at the moment it is really noisy. I know it is not because of the unit though. It is just that I have too many things running at once and useing the wall sockets creating some interference or hum.

You have to try to keep the connection as short as possible when you do reamping, and remember that your guitar, the amp (especially the transformers) and your computer can be source of interferences. So you have to find the magic way to:

1- keep things close
2- not TOO close ;)

Of course the ground lifts can help with that, just find the more silent combination.;)

Most of the time, no problem when there is not too much gain on the amp, but I guess that you don't play a Diezel Herbert only for its clean signal. ;)

I only tried reamping once and it was rushed. I will definitely take my time next time and listen to your advise. And yes, you are totally right about the Herbert :D

Back