connection confusion torpedo reload

solemndave

Hey folks,

I'm trying to connect my torpedo reload so that I can hear it through my cab and use the DI feature at the same time. I am hooking it up as per the manual which tells me to plug my guitar into the reload itself. When I do plug into the input on the Reload itself, no guitar signal---nada....just hiss. The DI works, but no sound from my cab. The "amp out" connection on the back is plugged in to my amplifier's input as per the instructions. Just want to mic up the cab as well as getting the DI signal!
When I unplug the "amp out" and plug my guitar directly into my amp, my cab sings, but no DI signal to my mixer. The loadbox function works, so that is connected correctly. What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't this thing be able to do at least as much as a $100 DI box?

So wassup?
Please help!!!
Dave

Hi solemndave,

you're almost there, you just forget a tiny thing: the full recording setup requires the signal to be sent form the DI to your DAW, and coming back from the DAW to the Replay In.

The Replay out has to be connected to your amp input.

The DI does not feed the amp input, if you just want to ply your amp with the loadbox and attenuator, just plug your guitar to the amp and you're good to go. ;)

thanks for your prompt reply....if I hook it up that way, I get a feedback
loop. is there no "through" type connection as in a DI?
btw. my daw interface is a Mackie onyx 1640.

Sorry to be a pain, but I have a session Sunday.
Another question and some more info which I hope may help you.
Which output is being returned to the reload? Is it the loadbox or the DI output?
My daw is adobe audition 3.

We had a similar challenge at NAMM, using a Mackie as well. The interface is a 2 out only so you have 3 options.

The one I recommend since you have a session right away is to use an aux send to go back to the Replay. This method is simple, analog and uses regular cables you probably have on hand.

Option 2 is to hook up as you did, but work in mono, one side is to go back to the Reload and the other is your monitors, in mono. You will need to assign the signals so that you don't get a feedback loop.

Option 3 is to use an aggregate device which combines multiple interfaces. we did this at NAMM, the Mackie driver provided our stereo out to the PA speakers and the Mac's internal out fed the Reload. That being said, we like to call aggregate device "aggravate device", not the easiest or most solid aspect of audio on a computer imho.

Use the aux method, there is no real advantage to the other two, you get the job done, the final product not will be compromised and you can concentrate on the creative aspects of your recordings. Make sure the track you are recording (the direct guitar) is not routed to the main outs.

Back