WoS III, reload and Logic X Pro... and tone discrepancy?

mateias72

Hi all,

I'm attempting to record guitar into my amp, out to the Reload, lined out from the load box, into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 and into Logic X Pro. From there I've got WoS III set up... what happens is that in WoS I dial in an acceptable sound, set input monitoring on, but when I play the recording it is quite a different tone.

It is as if all the highs disappear. I've disabled everything on the track save for the WoS plugin, so nothing funny happening in the background.

Excuse the newbie question, but how on earth can you actually monitor and hear the tone you're actually recording?

The tone I dial in when the track is armed and even recording is lovely, but the playback sounds like someone threw a blanket over the speakers. Weird!

I've got some experience with Pro Tools and dabbled with Garage Band prior to this - but I've never had anything like this happen to me before.

This is probably something I've forgot to do or overlooked in Logic... but figured I'd ask here as so many people are using WoS and getting killer tones across a wide array of DAWs.

Thanks!

Hello,

Which version of the plugin do you have ?
If you don't have the latest version (3.2.10), please update to that version and tell me if the problem is still present.

Thank you.

Hi - I'm actually on 3.2.10.24.

Upon reflection I don't think it is anything to do with WoS, it is a combination of my own lack of experience with Logic and the Focusrite. I've got to put my detective hat on and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

are you perhaps recording the track with the WOSIII applied (which is fine if you like) and then monitoring back running the track through WOSIII once again?

If so, there are several ways to set yourself up so this doesn't occur and you get the sound you want.

I think the issue was down to several reasons:

- I was using Logic in "GarageBand Pro" mode. Even though I removed everything save for the WoS plugin from the track, I was still getting a duff sound

- I had the mix knob on my interface turned too far to the left, was getting too much direct sound and just a bit of the WoS tone.

I was using Pro Tools LE with an Mbox 2 prior to this. I upgraded my home studio to a new iMac, a Focusrite interface and Logic. There is a bit of a learning curve.

Once I messed around a bit I was able to configure WoS to my liking and get the same tone "on tape"... one issue down, now on to the next! :)

Back