VB-101 Input Routing

Raven

I have a few questions directed at Guillaume & the boys, but I thought it best to post here as the answers may well be helpful for other users as well...

Firstly, with the new 'Studio' style software, the input routing options have changed a bit & my first question is how exactly does the 'Amp + Line' option work with the VB-101? Does the amp signal feed channel A & the line signal feed channel B, or are both inputs fed to both channels so that you can have a blended amp/preamp signal that can be multi-cab'd/mic'd?

Secondly, I often want to compare preamps with patches that contain the power amp simulation with my actual amp using just speaker/micing impulses. Is it safe to leave my amp on when switching the VB-101 over to the 'Line' input? Up until now I have always been switching the amp off just to be on the safe side, but it is a bit of a pain in the arse doing this; so yeh, does the Amp still see the load safely even when the VB-101 is in Line In mode?

While we're on this subject, it would be real cool if there was a way to setup your patches with specific input sources instead of it being a global setting. I'd love to be able to run a multi-signal setup & simply toggle between patches on the VB-101 in order to simultaneously switch between the gear that I want to use & also the virtual setup I want within the Torpedo.

Thanks in advance Two Notes guys, looking forward to seeing what drops at Musikmesse this year! I'm currently using the VB-101 in the studio, but have yet to purchase a Torpedo for live use. I'm really hoping that you guys will have acted on my suggestion a while ago to bring out a CAB/Live style product that has a 'speaker thru' connection but without the load box. To my mind the load box just adds weight & cost without any real benefit in a live setting. I've always thought that the Torpedo Live was really more of a Torpedo 'Light' ideally suited to home studio use & the CAB is great if you're just using preamps. I personally think you should add a speaker through to the CAB & rename it the 'Live' & then call the current live the 'Light' ...that'd make a lot more sense to my mind. :)

Hello Raven,

* how exactly does the 'Amp + Line' option work with the VB-101?
The amp signal feeds one channel and the Line signal feeds the other. They are not blended at the input. So each of the signals are single-mic'd.

* Is it safe to leave my amp on when switching the VB-101 over to the 'Line' input? does the Amp still see the load safely even when the VB-101 is in Line In mode?
Yes. The amp actually sees the loadbox, not just the safety load, no matter what input is selected.

* While we're on this subject, it would be real cool if there was a way to setup your patches with specific input sources instead of it being a global setting. I'd love to be able to run a multi-signal setup & simply toggle between patches on the VB-101 in order to simultaneously switch between the gear that I want to use & also the virtual setup I want within the Torpedo.
We considered but rejected this. It would be really problematic for one main reason : programming the presets when using an amp, then wanting to use a preamp : you wouldn't be able to use the presets you just made...

And thanks for the good word and suggestions. Who knows what the future holds...

Thanks for your reply, that's great news reference the load box.

In terms of the input routing being global vs. Preset level, I actually remember Guillaume saying pretty much the same thing to me when I mentioned it to him a few years backs. I'm not sure I follow your thinking here though if I'm honest. If it was preset level & you wanted to suddenly start using a preamp with the patches that you'd created for your full amp (I can't think why as a it would be FAR too dark without any sort of poweramp sim added in), then going into the setup screen & toggling across would be no more effort than it currently is with it at global level. Changing the input setting to preset level though would mean that you'd also have the option to create independent patches for either input source & therefore not need to go into the setup menu at all if you decided to work this way. I really can't see the downside of changing it to preset level...

Back