To the Capture Masters...

fearhk213

You all are doing a great job putting out some killer cabs. Keep it up :rock:

Just to throw it out there, one cab I'd LOVE to see added would be a standard Marshall sized rear loaded 4x12 with Mesa spec V30's :D

As far as I know the Mesa V30 or Black Shadow are just regular Celestion V30s, sometimes with a different sticker...

If someone can confirm?

The Black Shadow is a C90. It is a speaker designed by Celestion. It is sold to Mesa Boogie exclusively...
Celestion don't communicate data sheet about C90. Celestion don't sell C90 individually. :scared:
So, there's a mystery around the Black Shadow. :scared:
What I'm sure is that the C90 doesn't sound like a V30.
..to convince you try our CalifOver impulse (this mesa cab is load with C90)...
The signature is different to a V30 speaker due to the different frequency response.

However there's V30 speaker in some Mesa Boggie cabs.
In this case I believe that it's a sticker issue.
My 2 cents... ;)

Yeah the C90 is something different altogether.

The Mesa, Marshall, and Standard Celestion V30 are indeed different V30's, though. They even have different model numbers:

Mesa - T4335 (8 ohms), T4416 (16 ohms)
Celestion - T3903 (8 ohms), T3904 (16 ohms)
Marshall - T3989 (8 ohms), T3897 (16 ohms)

From personal experience comparing the Mesa spec ones to the stock celestion in the same cabs, there is definitely a noticeable difference with the Mesa being warmer and smoother. The first post in this link is the most informative I've run across on the subject: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... p?t=851486

I'm not talking about the C90, of course.

Very interesting comment from Fryette, I would love to see some measurements of the different speakers VS production variation of the same model.

As a matter of fact the V30 Mesa cabinet we have in the Torpedo sounds way different from other V30, but the cabinet itself is such a big deal i the overall sound that it makes hard to compare them. The only way is indeed to load different kind of V30 in the same cabinet, try not to change the measurement microphone's position, and do a proper measurement.

It's hard to judge anything, based on anyone's experience with different cabinets/speakers, too many parameters are involved (even if I value your opinion fearhk213 and thank you for sharing it with us) . And it wouldn't surprise me that Celestion would design specific speakers for a partner, what I really don't get is why they would keep the V30 name... Well, it is well know by the public...

sysexguy":3ufwfaec said:
I've been thinking about getting a Burriss Amps DC quick change cabinet.....anybody have one?

I've haven't seen those, but they would definitely be nice for someone that likes to switch speakers a lot.

Back