Loading wav files of sine sweeps in BlendIR?

I was wondering if it's possible to load a wav file of a sine sweep into BlendIR and have it processed into a tur file?
In other words, instead of generating the sine sweep signal and recording the result, just load in a wav file that represents the result and process it.

The reason I'm asking is because I still have the old FreeFilter plugin from Steinberg and it is incredible at allowing you to match tones.
So what I've been doing is having it learn a tone from a sample, then I play the same part using an IR, and then it tells me the EQ curve I need to use to make my tone match the tone I'm seeking.
I've been able to load the IR into BlendIR and use the 31 band EQ to match the tone with pretty good results.
But I would rather be able to take the sine sweep wav file and process it automatically with FreeFilter, which in theory should apply the filtering more precisely since it would be a "continuous curve" instead of just the 31 bands. IE- it would get every little notch and boost.

From there, I'm hoping to be able to take the processed sine sweep wav file and have BlendIR process it as it normally would to create a tur file.
Thanks in advance!!

Hi RockmanCentralBob,

first of all let me thank you for the captures you already posted on the Two Notes Exchange.

I am sorry but I don't understand what exactly you want to do. Do you simply want to convert a wav file to .tur?

You can load whatever wav file in BlendIR to output a .tur. Just drag and drop your file.

guillaume_pille":225khggr said:
first of all let me thank you for the captures you already posted on the Two Notes Exchange.
My pleasure!! I hope someone finds them useful. :rock:
BTW, I had the Resonance, Presence, and Main volumes set where I like them (Resonance 0, presence 10, volume 2), but do you have a suggestion as to where those should be set for general use as an IR? IE- should I just set Resonance and presence half way, or both on zero?

guillaume_pille":225khggr said:
I am sorry but I don't understand what exactly you want to do. Do you simply want to convert a wav file to .tur?
You can load whatever wav file in BlendIR to output a .tur. Just drag and drop your file.

The 31 band EQ in BlendIR is very useful, but I have other plugins that are even more precise and can automate much of the EQ matching that I would have to do manually in BlendIR.
So instead of just using the IR "as is" or being limited to the 31 band EQ in BlendIR, I would like to be able to process the sine sweep wav and then use BlendIR to convert it into a tur file.

Most of the IR wav (and tur) files I've heard are very short "chirps" as opposed to a full 60 second sine sweep file.
So I have 2 questions:

1) Can I load a full 60+ second sine sweep wav file for BlendIR to process into a tur file?
2) Can I convert a tur file back into a full 60+ second sine sweep wav file?

Thanks in advance!!

BTW, I had the Resonance, Presence, and Main volumes set where I like them (Resonance 0, presence 10, volume 2), but do you have a suggestion as to where those should be set for general use as an IR? IE- should I just set Resonance and presence half way, or both on zero?

Well, it totally depends on the amp design, it's hard to tell what would be best.

The important thing to understand, is that you will capture part of your amp behavior, meaning that if you later uses that same amp with a Torpedo and the IR previously recorded, the "sound of the amp" will be cumulated (the amp playing + it's characteristics captured in the .tur). In other words, the participation of the power amp and it's tonal characteristics will be emphasized. Not a big deal, but you should know it. ;) that is why we usually recommend doing the captures with a solid state, neutral amplifier. but the sound can be great with either options. ;)

The 31 band EQ in BlendIR is very useful, but I have other plugins that are even more precise and can automate much of the EQ matching that I would have to do manually in BlendIR.
So instead of just using the IR "as is" or being limited to the 31 band EQ in BlendIR, I would like to be able to process the sine sweep wav and then use BlendIR to convert it into a tur file.

Most of the IR wav (and tur) files I've heard are very short "chirps" as opposed to a full 60 second sine sweep file.
So I have 2 questions:

1) Can I load a full 60+ second sine sweep wav file for BlendIR to process into a tur file?
2) Can I convert a tur file back into a full 60+ second sine sweep wav file?

OoooooK now I get it.

So:

1- it's not possible to replace the stimulus in BlendIR (the sine sweep) by another one
2- that sine sweep we use in BlendIr has some specificities, so you can't change its form and still be accurate, regarding how we process the result later. We do not do "traditional" impulses, that is the reason why.

So you can load whatever file you want in BlendIR (in the IR windows), but you won't be able to do what you want, if I understand correctly.

I would recommend you use another IR measurement software, process the IR with your plugin(s), then import the final result (an IR and not a sinesweep) into BlendIR to convert it to .tur. I think Logic has something to do that:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb08/articles/logictech_0208.htm

And you can find other that don't come to my mind right now but there are some. ;)

Back