Problems With my Torpedo Live

SDMF85

Hey guys newbie to this place. I recently got me a Torpedo Live loadbox, I´ve included all of the conversation between me and "help desk". To explain my problem in the most easiest way possible!.

Do you guys have any ideas or sugesstions of what i might be doing wrong or, or have any ideas what i can do to get a sound i like out of it. If not i´m problably gonna sell it!.

thanx in advance

cheers from Sweden!

Hey!

Daniel Otterborg from Sweden here.

I got my Torpedo Live yesterday and i must say i´m not the imprest by it, at all actually. No matter what i do it just sound, dark, moshy and all woody. Too much base, and tweaking the amp and changing channels doesn´t help either.It doesn´t matter if i tweak the amp cause it barely change the sound at all. And believe me i´ve tried every cabinet and mic and mic placement there is. Im running it trough my Marshall JVM 410 Satriani amp into the torpedo live (8ohm input on both). Into my elevenrack using it as interface/DAW. I have connected everything as shown in the pics below. Am i doing something wrong??, have i connected something wrong??. Cause right now it doesn´t sound like my amp running trough a 4*12 cabinet, at all. And last but not least, the fan in it is making really loud noices from time to time??.

Hope to hear from you asap!

Thanks!

/Daniel- Sweden

Machine Serial number / Numéro de série machine:
Your Operating System / Votre OS:
Your Sequencer / Votre séquenceur: ---------
Software Version / Version du logiciel:
Date: 2015-02-10 16:02:14
Name: Guillaume Pille
Printer friendly version
Hello Daniel,

I am sorry that is how you fell after your first contact with Torpedo Live; I used to do demos with your amp and the Torpedo Live, so I know that you can get great tones out of that combination, there is no reason for the sound to be dark, at all. And you can listen to a lot of videos online with the Live and whatever amplifier

First:

- please do not involve the 11R and use the headphones output on the Live, so we limit the test to 2 products, the amp and the Live only.

- Make sure you use presets without the pow amp modeling, make sure it is switched off.

- Set the amp on a distorted sound, comparing cabinets and microphones is always more obvious with distortion from the amp (more rich sound)

- you can always compare the dry sound from the amp with the sound with the simulation, by bypassing the miking process. That can be done easily with the Remote software. If the sound is too bassy/woody even when the Live is in bypass, something strange is happening...

- If the fan is making noise, it we had some cases by the past of fans screwed too tight that can cause noise after some time, because of the blades touching their housing. Try to loosen the screws a little on the fan (at the back of the unit). If you don't want to do it yourself any technician can do this and this is covered by the warranty.

All in all, I would advice to share your experience with other Torpedo Live users on our forum, because someone else than the manufacturer can sometimes understand better what is wrong in your case. Sharing samples can help a lot, too:

www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php

Cordialement/Sincerely,

Guillaume Pille
President | Two Notes Audio Engineering
---------

International forum: forum.two-notes.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/TwoNotesAudioEngineering
Rated as not helpful

Date: 2015-02-11 22:02:25
Name: Daniel Otterborg
Printer friendly version
Hello!

Thanks for replying,

Yeah i´v seen you´re demo with the jvm 410 amp. If have it set up the way you say with just the amp and headphones. It doesn´t change the problem at all, it doesn´t matter, cause i´ve had both the EQ and preamp modelling turned of all along. And no matter what mic or cabinet i choose, how i place the mic, It still sounds like shit, like any avarage digital "modelling sound". And not my amps sound and tones...at all!.

And if i bypass the miking process, it sounds like an attacking bi swarm, imagine a really, really shitty distortion pedal.

Date: 2015-02-17 14:20:41
Name: Guillaume Pille
Printer friendly version
Hello Daniel,

it is hard to figure out what is going wrong exactly. The Live will replicate the sound of a miked cabinet, if you can compare what you achieve with the Live with a real miking that can help you find what's missing.

Please go on our forum and discuss the matter with other users, they may find what is you're doing that doesn't work. If you saw and like some videos using the Live, there is no trick, it's just good mixing.

Cordialement/Sincerely,

Guillaume Pille
President | Two Notes Audio Engineering

Hey, I'm running a Marshall JVM 205h out to my Torpedo Live then into a Propellellerhead Balance for a lot of my tracking currently. When set up I use no power amp emulation and no eq in the Torpedo Remote and have also found that the JVM seems to be a lot more touchy with settings I pair it with than say my Orange Jim Root 15w. Depending on what I'm doing with it (metal, rock, clean, ect) I end up having to change cabs, mics, and placements. My standard go to for say an In Flames tone is radically different than say when I'm going for a Taking Back Sunday tone. This is both on the amp and in the Remote. I've also noticed that I set the amp up way different than I would if I'm just plugging it in to play with a band.

If you give me a tone you're working at I'd be more than happy to pen out some basic starting points and give you a few sounds samples and my gear break down so you can at least get into your ballpark tone wise. I know sometimes just having a place to start and reverse engineer from is all it takes to learn how to use gear the way you want.

Here's us playing with the same amp

Dominic's favourite was Jubilee2x12 with the Ribbon160 right up and center, hope that helps. You can hear just how much difference the edits make. This video was done on the fly and improvised, given time, we could have tweaked the tones further.

Wow....how do you not get great tones out of this combination! I completely regret selling my Torpedo live and JVM410HJS 2 yrs back. It was absolutely outstanding. Remove the 11R interface and get something with better convertors. I had a similar issue when running into the 11R as my interface. When I got something decent it sounded amazing through the XLR inputs.

Okay, i thought i made myself clear in my post :) . But i´m gonna try and explain. My Marshall JVM 410 JS head, trough the torpedo live and into my computer, using headphones. That´s my set-up.

I have both the Power amp and the EQ turned OFF in the torpedo remote. Input level in the torpedo just reaching 12 (yellow light). My amp is set EQ-vise, at the 12 o clock on all controls, Volume at about 4-5. Gain channels on.

But no matter what i do, no matter wich cab simulation i use or witch mic or mic placement i use. It just sounds dark, woddy and "bassy, boxy. You could compare it to like a "cardboard" kind of a sound. It doesn´t matter how i tweak the amp cause there is really no difference in the sound, it doesn´t matter if i pull the gain up, or if i pull it down. Changing gain stages or channels on the amp doesn´t matter either, there is no sound difference, AT ALL.

And if turn the mic position of in the torpedo remote, imagine a BOSS MT-2, on steroids or getting attacked by a bee swarm of a thousand bees!!. That´s the kind of sound i´m getting.

Running my amp staight in to the cab, no problemo at all!!. Sounds fantastic.

So, am i missing something here?? :confused:

Are you sure you not using the emulated line out into the Torpedo?

You should be using the 8 Ohm speaker output.

Have you tried some monitoring solution either than your headphones?

Using the 8 ohm output yes, no i haven´t tried it with my M-audio Monitor speakers yet, that´s kinda feels like my last option..

If all the cabinets sound the same it is because in setup you have assigned the dry output to the side with the analog outs, You can easily correct this in teh setup menu. There were a couple of other threads here on RT with this exact issue and there is a FAQ on this at two-notes.com with details (also linked in the previous threads here. I hope this helps solve this.

sysexguy":16zo17n2 said:
If all the cabinets sound the same it is because in setup you have assigned the dry output to the side with the analog outs, You can easily correct this in teh setup menu. There were a couple of other threads here on RT with this exact issue and there is a FAQ on this at two-notes.com with details (also linked in the previous threads here. I hope this helps solve this.

Good point, I forgot about that.

:thumbsup:

sysexguy":2bzesi0m said:

you mean this?? :) http://support.two-notes.com/knowledgeb ... rticle=207

Hope this works! You should definitely hear nice differences between the cabs! I found that I really like the Angl cab with the Satch amp but now some of the new ones are amazing as well. I picked up a bunch the other night to use on my WOS-III until I pick up a new Live from Andy shortly. Just have to wait for this amp to come in.....

Yeah, it sounds WAY better now!!. thank you so much!!.

I´m going trough all the cabinets and mic´s once again! hahaha.

wich ones do you like the most, and what are you´re "presets" so to say :) ??. Could be fun to know.

Most of the 2x12 and 4x12's will be really cool, I guess JubilGreen and Angl412 were already mentioned, you can add to that RackHero, Kerozen...and of course there's lots of new cabinets from the Capture Masters, old Marshalls, Orange, Friedmans.

If a cab sounds too bright, use Ribbon160 to mellow it out, too dark, Knightfall or Dynamic57 for example. The new cabinets now feature an even wider choice of mics as well.

Back