Rockman Sustainor IR's on Torpedo Exchange

I decided to try to profile the cab sims from my Rockman Sustainor and was pretty surprised by the results.

For some background, the Rockman has 2 cab sim circuits built into it.
One is for the Clean 2 setting, which to me sounds arguably like a 12 string acoustic... very bright and sparkly.
The other is used for the Clean 1 setting as well as for the Edge and Distortion settings.

I found that using the Clean 2 cab sim on the clean channel of my JVM did sound very similar to the Clean 2 setting on my Sustainor.
Likewise, the Clean 1 cab sim on any of the Clean channel modes sounded like the Clean 1 setting of the Sustainor.
Where it got even more interesting was when I started going into the amber and red modes of the clean channel of my JVM.
The added gain REALLY sounded nice through the sim.... similar to activating the Semi-Clean or Auto Clean features of the Sustainor.
Once I got into the Crunch and OD channels of my JVM, it was like going into the Edge and Distortion modes of the Sustainor, but with a distinctly tube feel to them.
Much more raw and aggressive than your typical Sustainor.

It should be noted that SR&D had plans to release a full rack space ALL TUBE model of the Rockman Sustainor, to be called the "Sustainor 2.0".
Unfortunately, Tom Scholz sold the Rockman line to Dunlop before it was ever produced.
For me, using this profile with my Marshall JVM gives me a pretty good idea of what that preamp probably would have sounded like.

Being Rockman, it does have that more limited frequency range which some people might not like.
But overall some people might find it easier to "fit in a mix" since it leaves some frequency range available for other instruments to fill.
Hope someone find it useful, and I'd be interested in hearing what others think about it.

Cheers!!

Thanks RCB, I'll check them out.

I think I might have a old first gen Rockman in the garage somewhere LOL?

Thanks to Andy for the Palmer IR's too.

I did the Ampulator, not the Palmer, but you are welcome :LOL: :LOL:

I also just did the filter section of my Korg SDE-3000, will upload asap, really cool and usable stuff.

Glad to see both the uploads and download interest increasing on the exchange!

I guess for some people it's seems a bit odd to use the Torpedo for profiling cab sims, but many of these units (Rockman, Palmer, H&K Red Box, etc) were used for/in a lot of projects and studios, so they do have their own history and flavors to them. Sometimes you are looking for a particular sound and these units might just fit the bill.

To me, the Torpedo is a great platform for getting all kinds of different tones and greatly minimizes the need to do a whole lot of EQ'ing. Just find the cabinet/speaker/mic (or sim) that has the tonal characteristics your looking for and you're done. Mixing and matching profiles makes it easier to get tones that complement each other in a mix.

My compliments to the Two Notes crew!! :rock:

I find it very useful to have IRs of cabinet simulators. I would be very interested to have an IR of the Radial JDX and the new Palmer Bonamassa unit also.

Whoops, sorry everyone for confusing your credits, how about...

...thanks to all who make the Two Notes equipment and any associated IR's, as it's truely wonderful to be able to get real tube tone with modeler functionality!

HIP HIP, HOORAY!

Back