creating IRs with BlendIR

slash57

Hi,
I have a question regarding creating IRs:
Is my setup correct
Fireface line out -> reamp box -> return on my tube amp?
I have a Mesa MK IV and I'm not sure if the reamp box is needed in this scenarion. (I'm using a Palmer Daccapo)
Also the output level of the test signal is crazy high, but I guess I can dial it down with the dsp mixer.
I looked at the manual, but this is a tube amp, so I don't know if the amp expects instrument or line level.
Thanks!

Hi slash57,

you don't really need a reamp box to go from the Line out of the Fireface to the return of your amp.

To make sure the signal is not too hot, you just need to adjust the level in the Total Mix. We usually recommend to use a solid state amp, with your tube amp try not to push it too much otherwise you will get a lot of undesired distorsion.

Thanks! Awesome support here as always.
I don't have a solidstate amp, so I'll have to try it like this.
The level was pretty high, even when using the reampbox.

Is it ok if the cab resonates at certain frequencies, or would it be better to turn it down?

But if you do it with a solidstate, you don't get the interaction between iutput transformer/tubes and cab?
Cheers

The level was pretty high, even when using the reampbox.

Sounds normal to me, we generate a signal using the full digital scale, depending on the soundcard the level can be very high. Just lower it using the Totalmix ;)

Is it ok if the cab resonates at certain frequencies, or would it be better to turn it down?

It's OK, and if there is some distortion induced but that resonance, the Overload parameter will take care of it.

But if you do it with a solidstate, you don't get the interaction between iutput transformer/tubes and cab?

That interaction will be between your amp and the Torpedo loadbox. ;) so if you "capture it" once with BlendIR, you will apply a second time that effect with the loadbox. But no big deal, you can achieve great results with your configuration. And even prefer that sound over a solid state capture, so... ;)

Thanks again! :)
My self-made IRs were quite scooped though, compared to the mic track, is this the reason (poweramp exagerates the highs and lows because of the tube amp capture)?
cheers

That can be the reason, absolutely. If your amp has settings such as depth, or whatever parameter adjusting the power section, I suggest you do a few tests to find the best position.

Back