Torpedo Reload Studio setup

TheRealJTM45

I was close to pulling the trigger on a Reload. Now I read some posts and I am not sure anymore, so I would appreciate if someone with experience with the Reload would chime in here:

I had a Torpedo Live that I bought for doing late night recordings but I was not 100% happy with. Although it looked good on paper, at some point I found it too limited having only the SPDIF output and when recording I felt like I could never get the thump of my 100W Marshall in the lower mids into the actual recordings.

Now what really is different on the Reload is to have the attenuation feature which would allow me to use my non-master volume Marshalls for practicing etc. and the reamping to record my stuff direct and have it reamped later.

The two question I have are
1) I read somewhere that after the speaker signal is loaded down the signal is passed over to a solid state amp that actually will drive the speaker cabinet then. Is that correct? I recall the Magus Ultimate Attenuator to work on this principle.

2) I would like to be able to hook up an amp and play it attenuated through a real 4x12 cab while at the same time use the DI'ed signal and route it through my ADC into WOS and then have it recorded on my mixing console. Is this possible right out of the box or do I need to workaround some potential missing features on the Reload with other gear?

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom, your question regarding routing to the amp and to you DAW is unclear. A traditional re-amplification involves recording the guitar direct to the DAW. The Reload is perfect for this however you wouldn't apply the WOSIII until you've added an amp, either real or virtual, or a pre-amp (as in guitar overdrive, not a mic pre).

If you are recording the dry guitar, before the amp, you need to either feed the signal back post the Reload DI section or use a split to the Reload. You could also take a monitor send back from your Daw to the amp....many ways to do this without any extra gear.

If you are recording the amp out, pre-simulation, the signal continues through the Reload to the speaker out so you'd easily have a controlled volume monitor or the option of mic'ing that speaker as well.

The Reload does have a 100% load followed by an integrated solid state re-amplifier however this amp is of much higher standard of quality than that the UA and the load is a multi-impedance reactive load as opposed to the UA's 32 Ohm resistive load.

Thanks for your input, Andy.

May be I should have put it different to make it more comprehensible for everybody: I would like to play the amp going through the 4x12 cab as you would to traditionally but with some attenuation. At the same time I want the line level signal from the Reload to feed the DAW with WOSIII. I do not recall how or if that was working on the LIVE but in this case I would need to two separate controls for each output: One level control for the attenuated amp sound going to the 4x12 and another one ontrolling the line output. I was just wondering if the Reload would be able to be used that way.
Cheers
Tom

With the Live, the signal is either 100% attenuated or the Live derives a line signal while the amp's power (via the Thru) is going, full volume to the cabinet

With the Reload, the Reload's amplifier goes to the speaker at the volume selected on the Reload.

You could also for example connect the Reload at 16 ohms and a 16 ohms cabinet in parallel (amp set to 8 ohms) and work that way

sysexguy":1fz7xprd said:
With the Reload, the Reload's amplifier goes to the speaker at the volume selected on the Reload.
No doubt...But is the signal level going to the DAW via the line level output independent from the settings of the attenuation section such that I can dial a higher line level output w/o affecting the other one?
Cheers
Tom

The output to the speaker is variable from a whisper to 6 dB less that had the amp been connected directly to the speaker. The loadbox output is at line level and is easily trimmed or boosted at the input of the DAW if required. Both are totally independent of each other.

Back