Favorite Cab for Clean Tones?

se7en

I've got my overdrive patches dialed in real well, but what cab are you guys liking for cleans?

I generally start with whatever came with the amp in question, i.e. open-back Jensen with Fender, open-back Celestion Blue/Silver with Vox, closed back Celestion Greenback style speakers with Marshall and Matchless, closed-back Fanes with vintage HiWatt or Orange, closed back Celestion V30's or 75's with more modern hi-gain stuff, but not always LOL!

Use whatever sounds best for the track you're working on.

djd100":13vaadsy said:
I generally start with whatever came with the amp in question, i.e. open-back Jensen with Fender, open-back Celestion Blue/Silver with Vox, closed back Celestion Greenback style speakers with Marshall and Matchless, closed-back Fanes with vintage HiWatt or Orange, closed back Celestion V30's or 75's with more modern hi-gain stuff, but not always LOL!

I agree wholeheartedly. Ok, let's put it like this: what cab would you typically reach for when recording a Fender Twin? (stock or aftermarket Boutique) I've never owned one, but one of my amps has a Twin-like clean channel.

If looking for a stock Fender tone (the V30 might be pushing it etc)...

Standard TN Guitar cabinets

2Notes CSG: Two Notes Custom 1×12″ ElectroVoice® EVM12L
Angl VintC: Engl® 4×12″ Celestion® V30
Blonde 63: Fender® Bassman ’63 Blonde Tolex Piggy Back 2×12″
Brit 65C: Marshall® 1965A 4×10″ Celestion® G10L-35 closed back
Brit VintC: Marshall® Slash Signature 4×12″ Celestion® V30 closed back
Calif StdC: Mesa/Boogie® Rectifier® Standard 4×12″ Celestion® V30 closed back
Eddie: Peavey® 5150 2×12″ Sheffield 1200
Free Rock2: VHT® Deliverance 2×12″ Eminence® P50E
Green Tri: Hughes&Kettner® Triamp 4×12″ Celestion® Greenback
Jazz 120: Vintage Roland® JC120 2×12″
JubilGreen: Marshall® 2550 2×12″ Celestion® Greenback

Kerozen: Diezel® 4×12″ Celestion® G12K-100
Silver77: Vintage Fender® Twin Reverb® 2×12″ orange JBL®
SilverJen: Vintage Fender® Twin Reverb® 2×12″ Jensen® C12K

The One: Brunetti® Neo1512 1×15″ + 1×12″
Vibro Utah: Vintage 1961 Fender® Vibrolux® 1×12″ original Utah speaker
Vibro V30: Vintage 1961 Fender® Vibrolux® 1×12″ Celestion® V30

Voice 30: Original Vox® AC30 JMI 2×12″ Celestion® « Silver Bell »
Voice 65: 1965 Vox® 2×12″
VoiceModrn: Vox® V212H, 2×12″ Celestion® Alnico Blue
Watt FanC: Hiwatt® 2×12″ Fane closed back
XTCab: Bogner® 4×12″ Celestion® V30

Optional Cabs:

Silver 10

Note that the cab/speaker/mic selection has as much or more to do with the final tone as the amp/preamp.

In addition I have the Redwirez and OwnHammer libraries of standard IR's if needed.

With all the variables created via cab/speaker/mic/EQ -> Mic/Line Preamp selection and subjective preferences you just need to work with them until you get what you're looking for etc. The beauty is you can do it silently while sitting in your sweet spot, without needing an assistant to move/change your mics out in the studio LOL!

se7en":1ji1i6gw said:
djd100":1ji1i6gw said:

I agree wholeheartedly. Ok, let's put it like this: what cab would you typically reach for when recording a Fender Twin? (stock or aftermarket Boutique) I've never owned one, but one of my amps has a Twin-like clean channel.

DJD, thanks a bunch for laying that out so neatly. I really appreciate it. I have the Redwirez, but not the Ownhammers (where do they get these names?)

You're welcome. FYI, the majority of classic Fender tube amps are quite similar, circuit-wise, and their individual tonal characteristics are largely due to their cab and speaker configs (Super 4X10, Twin 2X12, other's 1X12 or 1X10 etc), and their iron.

se7en":2gv5yeg1 said:
DJD, thanks a bunch for laying that out so neatly. I really appreciate it. I have the Redwirez, but not the Ownhammers (where do they get these names?)

djd100":20y0eeqy said:
You're welcome. FYI, the majority of classic Fender tube amps are quite similar, circuit-wise, and their individual tonal characteristics are largely due to their cab and speaker configs (Super 4X10, Twin 2X12, other's 1X12 or 1X10 etc), and their iron.

Interesting. I know the circuits aren't that complex. I've been searching out a Dual Showman Reverb for some time, since it's a Twin in head form (which would work perfectly with the Torpedo Studio setup). They are hard to find and are all Silverface models, but any decent tech could do the Blackface mod to it.

se7en":2xc5xlis said:
what cab are you guys liking for cleans?
Yesterday I went through most of the cabs on the boutique and liked the Twill 15 cab the best, followed by the Monarch.
I was looking for a cab that I could use for playing my (very modest) jazz tunes, and the Twill just sounded the best to me.

I should really investigate all the cabs I already have a bit more, but I liked the Twill so much I got it. I have it set up pretty much as it appeared in the boutique (maybe due to my previous settings?) - PP-EL34, rbn 121. Full warm sound, but bass is not too dark or muddy if that makes sense - just the one I preferred :)

Early SF are essentially the same as BF with only a minor changer in the Phase Inverter. Later CBS stuff is of course very different, and not in a good way (excepting the Rivera designed stuff).

Aside from the adjustable mid-control the other main differences can be the coupling caps and bright cap, which is how they tuned for the different sized cabs and different sized/number of speakers.

For use with a Torpedo, I suggest that any Fender'ish preamp will give you a reasonable approximation of the complete classic Fender tone pallete via your cab selection (Super 4X10, Twin 2X12, other's 1X12 or 1X10/2X10 etc), tube power amp sim selection if needed, plus perhaps a little front end clean-boost if going for mid-gain tones.

To that end I use a Deluxe preamp with mine, and can get a reasonable BF/SF Twin, Super, Deluxe, Virbolux, Princeton, Showman/Bandmaster/Bassman etc sounds via tube power amp and cab sim selection.

se7en":arsbnshw said:
djd100":arsbnshw said:

Interesting. I know the circuits aren't that complex. I've been searching out a Dual Showman Reverb for some time, since it's a Twin in head form (which would work perfectly with the Torpedo Studio setup). They are hard to find and are all Silverface models, but any decent tech could do the Blackface mod to it.

Not really a cab, but damn I love the 10's in my super reverb. When I build a 6g3 style amp, I put it in a combo with 2x10's...yup, still like 10's :)

Hi se7en,
maybe you should try in La Boutique the Silver10 (Fender Silverface Princeton Reverb load in Jensen P10Q) that we capture @ Le Mirador.
I think it sounds great for clean tones especially with AEA92, Shure sm7B or Neumann U47 Tube.

Also we've just made new captures of a Fender Silverface Deluxe Reverb load in Jensen P12N and of a Fender 1966 Blackface Pro Reverb Amp load in with four originals CTS10.
Still available, we've called us Deluxe and SuperCTS.

Back