Torpedo Live or Studio as a Load Box

danimoreno

Hello
I'm thinking in buy a Torpedo Live or Studio and I need help,
I have a valve amplifier that I'm going to connect to the Torpedo speaker input, and I want to run without a speaker cabinet.
Using Torpedo in this way I have to be careful with this warning that is in the manual:

"Please note that you should always power up the Torpedo (Studio or live) before your amplifier"
Also in the Torpedo Studio said
"When powering-on the Torpedo Studio, you will hear the sound of a relay (a brief click). This corresponds to the activation of the loadbox... which allows your amplifier to run without a
speaker cabinet "

I'm worried with this because if I use many times, I can do a mistake and power up first the amplifier or I can have power failure for a moment, is not usual but it can happen and in this situation, when the power return again, the amp is power up but the relay maybe have some delay and it can be a disaster......
If this things can happen I have a problem. How do you manage or avoid those situations?
I'm thinking in buy a palmer ... because it is a passive loadbox and It run unplugged, I can connect it to the "Torpedo THRU output", and in all situations I have a loadBox ready with my amp and I can run it in silent.
Does this solution affect to the Torpedo output sound quality? Or maybe we don’t notice the difference of run with the Torpedo internal loadbox or Palmer loadbox
Do you have another tips? thanks a lot

You shouldn't worry too much about that, actually. This is a general warning, but in details, the security load of every Torpedo is always connected, and will take care of such cases.

Plus, as long as you don't play the guitar, or the master volume is fully down, the amp outputs zero signal, which means the load doesn't really matter.

During the development and tests, we turn Torpedos and amps on and off hundreds of time, and I couldn't say we always do it in the "right" order... :D

So, yes, turn the Torpedo on before the amp, because it's safer. But don't worry, forgeting to do so from time to time won't destroy anything ;)

Back