Proper cabling and powering on Torpedo Studio

71GA

I have a question regarding the cabling. I know that I need a standard speaker cable when connecting my 120W amplifier to the Torpedo Studio's amp input, but do I also need standard speaker cable for connecting my cabinet to the THRU output at the same time? It is not mentioned in the documentation which only mentions cabling for conecting an amplifier.

I intend to connect my Torpedo Studio following the image in the user manual's page 24. I will use as short as possible standard speaker cables to connect my cabinet and amplifier to the Torpedo Studio - short length will prevent piicking up too many disturbances. Two XLR cables which will conect my Torpedo Studio to an audio interface will be 5m long and won't pick up too many disturbances along the way so the length isn't a problem. There are two cables, because I want to record A and B simulated chanels in stereo and import both tracks in my DAW at the same time. Is this philosophy OK. I am asking because tomorrow I will buy all the cabling. Should I buy gold plated cabling or is this only a marketing trick to pay more?

Can anything go wrong if I firstly power on the amplifier and then Torpedo Studio but the cabinet is connected to THRU at the time of powering on the amplifier?

Fuck yeah! Tomorrow I am ROCKING! And my GF won't leave me!!! :rock:

I have another question. If I also connect the cabinet to the THRU output, how can I change the volume of the cabinet which gets too loud if I try to achieve amp saturation. It looks like the potentiometers don't aaffect the volume at all. :doh:

The Studio is not an attenuator, it is either a load ie 100% or a speaker signal tap. You could add an attenuator in line from the thru to the speaker if required. You also could run the Studio and your speakers in parallel which would reduce the output but that attenuation would be fixed.

The Studio has a backup load that is active when the unit is switched off. Connecting the thru bypasses the entire load so if a jack is plugged into the Thru, make sure a proper speaker connection is done at the other end. Thusly, the order you switch on your units is not critical however best practice would be to turn on your Torpedo first, then the amp and finally your monitors.

As mentioned, the entire speaker chain should be quality speaker wire ie everything between the amp and speakers.

Depending on your DAW i/o, you may want to connect the Studio to your DAW via AES (digital). This will require a proper clocking setup which is easy but requires some adjustments in your DAW and Studio. A pair of quality XLR's to your interface analog in will be fine, be sure to set the interface to line level.

Thank you. Too bad that I can't lower the volume of the amp... Well I will conect Torpedo live directly to my audio intervace and then studio monitors... Are you sure I have to choose "line" on my audio interface? I have curently "inst" chosen. My audio interface is Scarlet 2i4.

accord to the manual, you'll need to use a 1/4 TRS input, not an xlr

Note the Scarlett 2i4 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamplifier stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug. Set the LINE/INST switch next to the socket to INST if you are connecting musical instrument (a guitar in the example) via an ordinary 2-pole guitar jack, or to LINE if you are connecting a line level source such as the balanced output of an external audio mixer via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both types of jack plug.

so you'll need XLR F to 1/4" TRS cables from the Studio to your Focusrite.

If I may, you can connect the line output of the Torpedo Studio to the mic input on the Soundcard, you will just have to lower the Studio's output level enough not to saturate the mic input.

Back