Help with Wall Of Sound Plugin

slyym

I have a mesa boogie single rectifier and am trying to record with it and am not having good results. I am going from the loop out into the input of an audio interface and then running that through the plug in and it sounds like crap basically. My first guess is that the loop out on my amp isn't a line level signal. What would be the best way to do this? Should I be using a DI box or something? Thanks

I gather you are going from the send output of your amp when you say "loop"? Don't use it that way. The Mesa loops are notoriously not the greatest.

Your amp should have a slave output out the back. Plug into your interface from that. That is a pre-amp signal for your amp and may work better.

Try it and see if it works better. Also, check your input settings on your interface. For the WOS plugin, you will probably have to activate the poweramp section to give it more realism.

Hi slyym,

here is a request I make every time we get the "my sound is crap" question here, please post a sound sample if you can, so we can all understand what we are talking about. ;) Telling us what you are aiming at in terms of tone is very important too. ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. I think the problem was coming from the loop out of the amp. I'm actually trading off that amp today and will post some clips if I'm still having problems.

Regardless of the amp you end up with, something like the Suhr Reactive Load will provide a speaker load for your amp, and provide you with a balanced/unbalanced line out to send to your recording interface. I just got one, and along with sounding spectacular, it's lets me run reverb and time based effects after my amp (my amp has no fx loop), so I'm getting sounds out of my amp's gain channel that I've never been able to get before. The Reactive Load is definitely a game changer for me. Once you have the proper signal feeding into your interface, molding your sound in your DAW or impulse loader gets easier. Cheers :)

rodrigo_s":bnul9ztt said:
Regardless of the amp you end up with, something like the Suhr Reactive Load will provide a speaker load for your amp, and provide you with a balanced/unbalanced line out to send to your recording interface. I just got one, and along with sounding spectacular, it's lets me run reverb and time based effects after my amp (my amp has no fx loop), so I'm getting sounds out of my amp's gain channel that I've never been able to get before. The Reactive Load is definitely a game changer for me. Once you have the proper signal feeding into your interface, molding your sound in your DAW or impulse loader gets easier. Cheers :)

Sweet! This is the answer I was looking for. I also now know what the difference is between the Torpedo Live and the plug-in version is, The reactive load. Thanks Guys!!

rodrigo_s":gt5830o9 said:

I asked a question in another thread about the Torpedo Live and using a Head with effects in front of and in the FX loop of an Amp... does it not sound right?

PBGas":2jnw3t62 said:
I gather you are going from the send output of your amp when you say "loop"? Don't use it that way. The Mesa loops are notoriously not the greatest.

Your amp should have a slave output out the back. Plug into your interface from that. That is a pre-amp signal for your amp and may work better.

Try it and see if it works better. Also, check your input settings on your interface. For the WOS plugin, you will probably have to activate the poweramp section to give it more realism.

I believe this is the way to go.

Back