Where to set DB's on two note torpedo

heythere

Hey there,
I've been trying to figure out where to set my db's on my input boost and output boost on my torpedo studio. I'm still learning about where levels should be. In the context of a mix, for a while I would bring my input boost to as high as 5 sometimes. But then I brought all the other instruments lower, so I didn't have to boost the input or output as high.

Just from what I've been told, I try to get the levels to hit as close to the the red before clipping on the studio, so I thought boosting it would be better. It also sounds fulle. But maybe it's my ears, but boosting can make things sound a little less natural. I haven't been able to come to a final conclusion on this.

I know there are no hard set rules, but do you guys like to keep things as close to 0db's on input boost and output regardless of how high the green goes when looking at the levels? Trying to get some clarity for the most natural and best full sound. Thanks.

When using my TL's, I found that I got the best results when setting my input levels somewhere in the ballpark of -9 and -12. Any higher, and I was getting added distortion that wasn't very pleasant.

Wow, Interesting...and did it not matter even if the levels were way below the orange when looking at the green meter?

and you don't touch the input boost either?

The thing is when I set it to -9 or -12, it records on pro tools at a very low level. So I have to boost the faster to above 0, which isn't good for the sake of the mix. Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

First off, the torpedo live doesn't have a input boost feature, so whatever you're sending it, is what comes out. To address the second post, adjust your incoming signal on your DAW interface. Never having worked with a studio model, I'm not sure if you can use it as such, but I would rely on incoming DAW levels on the interface as opposed to the load box.

That definitely makes sense. I will give that a shot for sure.

Just wondering, so I can get a better general sense, do most people here agree that -9 or -12 is where the recording level should be?
Obviously every situation is gonna be different. But if so, in general, I've been doing it wrong all these months, lol.

Just so I'm clear, I was not referring to recording at -9 or -12, that was the setting on the input of the torpedo

cpiquette":3mblp99b said:
Just so I'm clear, I was not referring to recording at -9 or -12, that was the setting on the input of the torpedo

I thought you meant the output on the torpedo. Am I wrong? I thought you said there is no "input boost" on the live unit.

So on the TL, there are separate input and output controls. I usually have my output set at 0db, and I have the input set between-9 and -12 to prevent input clipping. With my amps, I cannot set the input any higher without adding any extra distortion. The input on my recording interface is set to accommodate these levels.

Ahh, well I guess I misunderstood.

On the torpedo studio, there is:

"Input boost" and "output".

Perhaps I could control the input from the torpedo remote. Is that different than the input boost that's physically on the torpedo studio?

It's kind of frustrating there is no info about this online. Maybe it's common knowledge, but I'm on the newer side to recording in general, so I hope more info can come out on this in General.

Any clarity on this would be really appreciated. I have some recording I need to do later today and tomorrow. Can anyone help?

I hate to repost again, but is there anyone who can help me with these questions? I can't call France and there's basically no info anywhere online after searching and searching. I'm trying to get the best recording sounds pissible, and still don't have it dialed in. Any help would be really appreciated.

Hello Heythere,

The general starting rule is to have the maximum levels of the signal, both at the input and output, around the orange LEDs (somewhere between -3 and -12dB), without clipping.

At the input, set the Input Boost at 0dB first. Then, achieve the desired input level on the bargraph by using the Input potentiometer if you are using the Amp input, and/or by setting the output of the line source if you are using a line source. If the input level is too low and you can't raise it with either the Input potentiometer (if you are using the Amp input), and/or by raising the output of the line source (if you are using a line source), you can raise the Input boost parameter to get the same effet.

The input level affects the way some effects react in the Torpedo : the Power Amp simulation (the more input level, the more it will distort), the miking section if the Overload parameter is not set to 0%, the Exciter, the Compressor. So, at this point, you may want to go away from the "orange LEDs" rule. Either by going lower (basically, you'll get less distortion, and also less dynamics but that may not be audible, except of course in the Compressor), or higher (you'll get more distortion and more compression through the Compressor). In any case, avoid clipping.

You should then set everything as you like it, and set the output level only at the end. To do so, just set the Output Volume so you get the right level at the output bargraph (around the orange LEDs, same as the input).

And, same as the input : you may want to go away from the "orange LEDs" rule here, in order to comply with the device plugged after the Torpedo. You can go lower (to avoid clipping the next device) or higher (to get a stronger signal), as long as you don't clip.

The Torpedo Studio has a huge dynamic, so even if you're not around -3 / -12dB at the input or output, everything should go well. You also have to consider the devices before and after the Torpedo, and their respective levels. Basically, the higher the level at any point, the better for the S/N ratio, but when there is (voluntary) distortion involved, then it's just up to your taste.

Thank you for detailed response.

But this still does' answer my basic questions. As I was talking to the guy who responded before, he was saying he "sets" his input around -9 or -12 and keeps the output at zero. He didn't mean that the lights hit "-9 to -12" on the meter. At least that's what I was trying to confirm. That's atlas what I was trying to confirm that he meant, because he said everything sounds better without added distortion.

The other thing I was trying to find out was on the torpedo studio, there is no "input" on the unit itself that I could find where you can lower it. There is only an "input boost" that you can use. The only place was that I think you can change the "input" is from the torpedo remote. That's another question I was asking about.

I don't understand why that's so confusing for people to chime in and answer with their experience, lol. Please help me.

Well, your basic question was how to set the input and output levels, and I think I covered this. If some points in my answer are not clear enough, please let me know :)

Regarding this :
heythere":1e7nnt4k said:
on the torpedo studio, there is no "input" on the unit itself that I could find where you can lower it. There is only an "input boost" that you can use. The only place was that I think you can change the "input" is from the torpedo remote.
The answer is there :
Basstyra":1e7nnt4k said:
Then, achieve the desired input level on the bargraph by using the Input potentiometer if you are using the Amp input, and/or by setting the output of the line source if you are using a line source.

If more explanations are needed :

There are two possibilities here. You are either using an amplifier, plugged into the Speaker Input Jack of the Torpedo Studio, or a line source, plugged into an Analog Input XLR/Jack combo or a digital input of the Torpedo Studio.

If you are using an amplifier, the sound coming from your amplifier can be adjusted with the Input potentiometer, in front of the Torpedo Studio, just under the Input bargraph. Turn it left to reduce the sound, turn it right to raise the sound. This is an analog potentiometer, this can't be set with the Torpedo Remote software.

If you are using a line source, then the only way to set the input level is to use whatever level and/or volume controle there is on the line source.

There is no software parameter to reduce the sound coming into the Torpedo Studio. There is only a software parameter to boost it, the Input Boost parameter.

Finally, the Torpedo Remote does not have any additional input control.

Thanks. I'm having a lot more success keeping the input level lower. This info helps a lot.

Just wondering, how do you guys like to use your gain staging with recording? Do you keep the input on the torpedo way in the green and the interface in the far in the green as well? Or do you like to put one of them a bit hotter. Looking to get the fullest and quality sound possible...

Hang on, while his advice is sound regarding the levels, I'm not sure Basstyra is 100% correct here. I have a VB-101 (the predecessor to the Studio) & it was my understanding that the input knob in remote does the same thing as the physical input knob on the front of the unit but just allows you to control it via Remote rather than walking over to the unit itself. Also, this control definitely works on the line in the same way as it does with the amp in whether you turn it on the unit itself or in Remote.

Ah-ha, I see, does that mean that you can't control the input of the line-in on the Studio then!? what's the reason for the change if you don't mind my asking, what Basstyra describes seems a like a step backward from how it is on the VB-101, or am I missing something?

Back