Re-Amping delay problem with Torpedo Reload

Blues Bird

Hi,

I am on a iMac with PT 12.1 HD Native with 2 HD 16x16 interfaces. I have a Torpedo Reload and want to record the DI output and the loadbox output at the same time in PT. The setup is like this:

- Guitar -> Reload INST input -> Reload DI Output - > Mic preamp #1> PT HD input #2

PT DAW Out# 15 -> Reload Replay Line In -> Reload Amp out -> Guitar Amplifier Inst Input

Guitar amp speaker out -> Reload speaker IN

Reload Loadbox Output -> Mic preamp #2 > PT HD Input#3

When record both track at the same time there is an obvious delay between the DI Track and the Loadbox track( this one is later) in PT. When I only record the DI track and then do another pass to record the load box track then there is no offset between the the 2 recorded tracks...

Am I doing something wrong or is it simply impossible due to the extra D/A and A/D conversion for the replay signal? Please advise.

The delay seem to be indeed due to the extra DA then AD conversion (+some buffering in the driver).

You could solve that with a direct link between the DI output and the Replay input. Some kind of "direct monitoring", if your sound interface has something like that.

Or you can compensate, either with your DAW if it has this kind of option, of with a carefully set delay on the DI track.

Basstyra":rfxr0izq said:
The delay seem to be indeed due to the extra DA then AD conversion (+some buffering in the driver).

You could solve that with a direct link between the DI output and the Replay input. Some kind of "direct monitoring", if your sound interface has something like that.

Or you can compensate, either with your DAW if it has this kind of option, of with a carefully set delay on the DI track.

That's quite a bummer... The "direct link" you mentioned means the DI signal has to routed right behind the interfaces input and before the A/D conversion stage to an output (and without the D/A Conversion), right? As far as I can see, no interface does it this way...

And regarding compensation, not the DI track has to be delayed since it is just in time with all the other tracks in the DAW (e.g. the drums). I think the delayed replay track has to speed up manually, which could be a PITA if you do a lot of reamping...

So it seems to me, that this part of the Reload workflow does not work so well and they had better just put a through path to their DI path like all the other DI Boxes out there...

Hi Blues Bird,
I´m a long time Pro Tools (non HD) user, so I can come up just with some speculation from some issues I had reamping in ProTools.

From what I remember, using Digidesign Hardware (002 Rack), these interfaces control their low-latency monitoring via the Pro Tools Software/Mixer. In the early Pro Tools 7/8 LE versions I had to enage "low latency monitoring", to have the input signal directly routed to the assigned outputs.

Since Pro Tools 9 is open to all audio interfaces, I use RME Hardware, they have an own Mixer, where I can route this.

Did you ever mess, with "automatic delay compensation" in Pro Tools. What I recognized, when reamping with a std. reamping box was, that the DI track was wrong compensated, when sending to an aux in comparison to the main output, so I have the issue, that the reamped guitar track is about 1500 samples before my DI track. I know, your "reamped" tracks are behind (they are quite "reamped" due to being send through ProTools)...

My suggestion is, to play with "automatic delay compensation" and "low latency monitoring" in Pro Tools. Don´t know, what "low latency monitoring" does to the HD-Native Interface, as it disengages software monitoring, when using 3rd party interfaces, it should monitor the DI signal to the output with aivd hardware.

Try, to use the physical output for the DI track as the output in Pro Tools, not create a H/W send for this, as this also might bring in some latency.

So, this has gotten longer, as I wanted to and maybe a bit confusing, again, please take it as some thoughts on your problem, I hope, this can help, bring you back on track.

Back