My "new" experience with the Torpedo Studio

CCT

Hey guys,
I am finally starting a new thread for the TS instead of continuing with my "Help with new Torpedo Live" thread. I don't want to be too redundant so refer to that thread for the background. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in on that thread!

I will "reprint" my first comment with the new TS though..."Well, I've had the TS for about a week and have "played" with it a couple of times...I'm having TROUBLE finding a BAD sound now!!!! :rock:"

Thanks again Guillaume for the gentle nudge re the TS. You were absolutely correct that I needed the TS :yes:

Anyway, I've had it for a bit now, have bought a bunch of cabs from Two Notes as well as a the free Marshall cabs from RW and OH and a couple of Diezel cabs from OH.

I could use and would appreciate some guidance now that I've had some time with the TS. Again for clarity, I'm using a Focusrite 18i8 AI and Reaper as my DAW.

Should I be using the S/pdif out as opposed to the analog outs? I know nothing about S/pdif really. What would I notice sonically etc. I see there is a S/pdif in and out? If this would be a better way to connect the TS to the Focusrite, I read that the TS needs to be the "master" and the Focusrite the "slave". How would I accomplish that? If I'm better off using the analog outs as I am now...then nevermind :LOL: :LOL:

Also, I'm running at 48khz currently. Only because when I was using the AxeFx, it output at 48K. What should I be using with the TS and why?

As always, thanks much for all the help ;) :D

Craig

Thanks again Guillaume for the gentle nudge re the TS. You were absolutely correct that I needed the TS :yes:

I'm never pushing anybody into upgrading, but in some times, I know that's the right decision. ;)

Maybe we didn't advertise enough for the differences between Studio and Live, I don't know...

About digital VS analog outputs.

If you use S/PDIF you will avoid two conversion: one digital to analog at the torpedo end, one analog to digital at the soundcard input.

The correct technical opinion I can have is we should avoid extra conversions as much as possible, meaning using digital I/Os. But sometimes going through the analog inputs on the soundcard, or even better using a nice mic preamp, can add an extra color that one can like.

If you want to go digital,I would recommend you set the Torpedo to SLAVE (it's in the Setup Menu, sync, select /pdif and slave).

The soundcard will be master (which is usually the default setting), check in the soudncard's manual for more info.

You must create a digital loop, meaning:

Torpedo S/PDIF In -> Soundcard S/PDIF Out (this one is required to get the clock from the computer)
Torpedo S/PDIF Out -> Soundcard S/PDIF In (this one will carry the Torpedo sound)

And of course once in your DAW, select the S/PDIF input on a track. ;)

You can set your project to whatever frequency you want, the Torpedo will follow now that it is slave. The frequency doesn't really matter, as soon as it is 44 or more.

guillaume_pille":36ya0ns5 said:

If you use S/PDIF you will avoid two conversion: one digital to analog at the torpedo end, one analog to digital at the soundcard input.

The correct technical opinion I can have is we should avoid extra conversions as much as possible, meaning using digital I/Os. But sometimes going through the analog inputs on the soundcard, or even better using a nice mic preamp, can add an extra color that one can like.

If you want to go digital,I would recommend you set the Torpedo to SLAVE (it's in the Setup Menu, sync, select /pdif and slave).

The soundcard will be master (which is usually the default setting), check in the soudncard's manual for more info.

Torpedo S/PDIF In -> Soundcard S/PDIF Out (this one is required to get the clock from the computer)
Torpedo S/PDIF Out -> Soundcard S/PDIF In (this one will carry the Torpedo sound)

You can set your project to whatever frequency you want, the Torpedo will follow now that it is slave. The frequency doesn't really matter, as soon as it is 44 or more.

Thanks for your help ;)

Am I understanding correctly that I would run S/pdif ins and outs to my Focusrite AI then?

Yes, if your soundcard is the master clock.

CCT":ffjjzbe9 said:
guillaume_pille":ffjjzbe9 said:

Thanks for your help ;)

Am I understanding correctly that I would run S/pdif ins and outs to my Focusrite AI then?

djd100":1lv2mhyn said:

CCT":1lv2mhyn said:
guillaume_pille":1lv2mhyn said:

Thanks for your help ;)

Thanks djd ;)

I'm relatively "new" to comp based recording and far from a comp whiz at this point so I don't understand. How would I know if the soundcard is set that way? Am I correct in assuming that the soundcard is within my comp(which is a PC)?

Yes, either a card within the computer or connected to it via USB/Firewire/Thunderbolt, you'll need to read the manual for both your sound card and DAW.

It's not that hard...

If your system's digital clock isn't locked your digital audio won't work well if at all (clicks and pops and dropouts etc).

CCT":1ocvjifx said:
djd100":1ocvjifx said:

CCT":1ocvjifx said:
guillaume_pille":1ocvjifx said:

Thanks for your help ;)

Thanks djd ;)

I'm relatively "new" to comp based recording and far from a comp whiz at this point so I don't understand. How would I know if the soundcard is set that way? Am I correct in assuming that the soundcard is within my comp(which is a PC)?

Got it, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, do you prefer the digital or analog "sound" with the TS?

I don't have a TS I'm sorry to say, so I have to use analog with my CAB which works fine for me.

As Guillaume noted earlier either method will sound great, though...

a) Digital will have less latency and be slightly cleaner.

b) Analog can be useful if you have a favorite soncially colorful mic preamp at the expense of slightly more latency (just 1 ms or something like that, hardly anything at all?), or if analog is all you have.

I preferred the Torpedo CAB as I use it in my 4U live rig, so I needed the smallest solution that could live in the back of my rack as the the 4U rolling rack is full of tube preamps and a Axe FX Ultra for FX.

I suggest you try both methods and use whichever you prefer!

CCT":pyu66fw0 said:
Got it, thanks.

Just out of curiosity, do you prefer the digital or analog "sound" with the TS?

Perfect, your explanation is just what I needed. I will indeed try both and see. Any suggestions for short S/pdif cables?

Again, thanks so much for your help. ;) :rock:

Craig

You can use any quality shielded RCA to RCA cable for testing purposes assuming they're short (< 10' or so).

If you're going to end up using SPDIF full time or you need a longer cable run it's probably best to get some 75 Ohm SPDIF cables.

That said I've used quality regular RCA cables randomly through the years and I've never had a problem.

Welcome, enjoy!

CCT":1yczvlsf said:
Perfect, your explanation is just what I needed. I will indeed try both and see. Any suggestions for short S/pdif cables?

Again, thanks so much for your help. ;) :rock:

Craig

Back