Tone quality in Reload vs. Live

Bigshredder

Hi folks :). I am looking into buying a mesa boogie dual rec and use an loadbox to record silently. I have had an weber mass in the past to use with an peavey 6505+ combo I had and I didn't like the sound at all. Maybe the pre+pwr amp sucked when not using a real cab, or maybe the weber was bad. I do have an torpedo c.a.b and I love it. So either I use an reload or an live for that rectifier sound. But I wanna use the one that doesn't color the sound or make the amp feel wierd. Which one is the best to use as an load?
Cheers!

Hello Bigshredder,

They basically share the same loadbox, you'll get pretty much the same end result either way :)

The Reload has a selectable impedance (4, 8 or 16 ohms) and a power attenuator that could come in handy. On the contrary, with the Live, you'll get the miking simulation that you already have in the CAB. But then you may want to sell your CAB. Lots of options out there :)

Basstyra":1gp7b46g said:
Hello Bigshredder,

They basically share the same loadbox, you'll get pretty much the same end result either way :)

The Reload has a selectable impedance (4, 8 or 16 ohms) and a power attenuator that could come in handy. On the contrary, with the Live, you'll get the miking simulation that you already have in the CAB. But then you may want to sell your CAB. Lots of options out there :)

Thanks for the fast reply:)
When you say power attenuator, do you mean so you can hook it up to a real cab and attenuate the volume?

I'd like to bump this :)
There must be some differences between the two cuz the live one is max 100 w and reload takes max 150 w. I'm looking for the most transparent tone here. So is there no tonal difference between them at all?

I'm looking to buy a mesa boogie rectifier, either the dual or the triple version. And for the triple version I must use the torpedo reload because the amp is 150w instead of the 100w the dual puts out. Am I right here?
Also the live feels more promising coz of all the connections and the cab emulator making the live a one unit deal, but when it comes down to it transperacy and tone is the first priority to me. Also, the reload is a lot cheaper :)

Unless you are running the Triple at max volumes you should be ok with the 100w load. I have a Bogner Uberschall (120w) and use my Live without any issues. With a Triple Rectifier it is unlikely you will ever need to run it as high as 150w.

Actually, the main difference is the choice in impedance : 4, 8 or 16 on the Reload, only 8 on the Live. The wattage difference is explained by a bigger heatsink and fan. Both won't affect the sound (at 8 ohms on the Reload).

A 150W amplifier is no problem on the Live, as long as you don't output 150W. This can be done simply be keeping the volume to reasonnable levels. The Live will warn you anyway if you exceed the maximum admissible power.

Finally, we changed a very few values of the components on the Reload, because of the selectable impedance, but this either doesnt't affect transparency. Basically, you can choose the Reload or the Live, and you'll get the same result. So your choice should probably be based on the features rather than the sound :)

Ok :) a big thanks for the great answers and explanations. Then maybe I'll get the live unit after all. Can't wait To get my new rig :)

Back