Question about upgrading interfaces.

heythere

I've been doing more recording with my scarlet 6i6. I haven't been that satisfied with my tones overall. I feel like something is missing.

Trying to pinpoint the culprit in the chain. Has anyone here upgraded from their scarlett 6i6 or upgraded their interface in general and it made a HUGE difference in their tones?

IMHO the least expensive tweaks with the highest ROI are:

1) proper speaker decoupling from the mixing desk/work surface

2) replacing all cables that have unbraided shielding and plastic molded plugs

3) proper loop switching, grounding and power supplies for any pedals used for recording

There is no doubt going to a pro feature Ad/DA will be a massive difference however it may be expensive (ie expect to spend 3-8x the 6i6 value to get into the good stuff) and unless te above are settled, these gains may be masked.

Thanks for the quick response. What are some interfaces that you would recommend that would make a huge difference? I'm cool with spending some money if it's worth it. Ideally, around $1,000 or less. But I'll spend more if it needs to happen.

heythere":39s2qgo9 said:
I've been doing more recording with my scarlet 6i6. I haven't been that satisfied with my tones overall. I feel like something is missing.

Trying to pinpoint the culprit in the chain. Has anyone here upgraded from their scarlett 6i6 or upgraded their interface in general and it made a HUGE difference in their tones?

Hi!
I am interested in this topic. Can you make a sound sample, to listen as the sounds 6I6?
( I would like to know what Torpedo you have ).

Thank you!

Can't answer any of your questions but I have an m-audio provide 610 that I want to sell that you may want to look into.....no idea how it compares to the Scarlet though....
Anyways, good luck!

djd100":2qvc3knd said:
+1 on RME, have a couple of them and they've been excellent.

guillaume_pille":2qvc3knd said:
For that kind of money I would look at RME interfaces, or Lynx maybe.

Sounds like RME is getting a lot of love. Any thoughts on getting the RME babyface (assuming this is the best choice for this brand) or apollo duo? Those are the 2 I have my eye on.

Very curious as well how big of an improvement it will actually make in my sound vs the scarlet 6i6...any info would be most helpful.

Wanting to buy this in the next day or so. Any input on the RME babyface vs apollo would be most appreciated. Thank you.

I have an Apollo twin duo. The difference from my previous Scarlett 18i20 to that was night and day as far as clarity.
That being said, I do like the Focusrite stuff and I am really looking at the new Clarett series. Had a chance to try one out and I liked it! I like the UAD stuff as well but to move up to something with more inputs that I need is way above what I would budget for.

heythere":1tvhpav3 said:
djd100":1tvhpav3 said:
+1 on RME, have a couple of them and they've been excellent.

guillaume_pille":1tvhpav3 said:
For that kind of money I would look at RME interfaces, or Lynx maybe.

Sounds like RME is getting a lot of love. Any thoughts on getting the RME babyface (assuming this is the best choice for this brand) or apollo duo? Those are the 2 I have my eye on.

Very curious as well how big of an improvement it will actually make in my sound vs the scarlet 6i6...any info would be most helpful.
I switched from the 6i6 to a RME Fireface UCX, some observations:
- The inputs are much quieter, when recording DI amps
- I can actually use simultaneous outputs now without crosstalk over the output channels (I had to mute all other outputs to be able to use reamping)
- The Babyface would have to few outputs for my taste. 2 XLR outs only means, that you would have to plug out a monitor everytime you want to reamp, to be able to use the output. But lots of people don't even use reamping so yeah.
Think if maybe a Fireface UC(X) would suit you better longterm
- If you are micing your amp, the difference is really not that night and day.
- RME drivers rock! I got the latency way further down, which was also something that bugged me with the Focusrite
- The FX on the Babyface Pro / RME UCX are convenient. e.g. noise gates, EQs.
- I would totally get the Babyface Pro over the normal Babyface, because of the Breakoutbox cable stuff. The new one seems much more convenient

Lots of great insight here. I'm only using the WOS III in my home studio at this pint. So that's my main purpose. I guess I'm more interested people's direct experience in the higher quality interface (apollo or RME) and noticeable difference for a loadbox to DAW (WOS III) recording.

I bet you won't hear a audio quality difference between an Apollo twin duo or a RME interface, I would decide based on the features. The Babyface has more inputs, the twin has more balanced outputs on the back if you need it- plus a few nice plugins, that come with it.

Back