Connecting external FX processor to Studio when using Spdif?

CCT

Hey guys,
I've used the "FX after the loadbox" method when I was using the analog outs of my TS, but don't understand how I'd make the connections to use this method if I'm using the Spdif In/Out...is it even doable? :confused:

Thanks,

Craig

Hi Craig,

you will have to choose which unit is the master in the communication. If it's the Studio you just have to connect the PSIDF out to the SPDIF in of your FX unit.

If it's the FX Unit, you will need to connect both the SPDIF In & Out of both units (so the FX unit can send the clock through its SPDIF Out to the SPDIF In of the TS).

Ok, that's where my confusion came from...None of my processors have spdif connections. They're older pieces of gear.

Well, I guess I won't be using them "after" the TS when using the spdif connection-which I prefer at the moment :LOL: :LOL!

As always, thanks for the help ;)

Use the Line output and put your FX after the TS it will work perfectly. ;)

Setting up an SPDIF link is way easier when the product actually have SPDIF I/Os ha ha. :D

I know, my antiquated gear :LOL: :LOL: Apparently they didn't have spdif then :D You know how it is though...sometimes the old gear just has the right sound.

guillaume_pille":3nsxyqr4 said:
Use the Line output and put your FX after the TS it will work perfectly. ;)

Ok great but I'm not understanding the routing :confused: Are you talking about using the Analog Outs of the TS into the processor, and the outs of the processor to the Analog Ins of the TS?

Just to be clear, I'm currently going from the spdif in/out of the TS to the spdif in/out of the Focusrite 18i8.

Are you talking about using the Analog Outs of the TS into the processor, and the outs of the processor to the Analog Ins of the TS?

No, unless you're planning in using your system as a feedback generator. ;)

I thought you wanted to put your effects after the TS, for example to put reverb and delay after the miking (that's what I do). The routing would be:

Guitar->amp-> TS Spkr In -> TS Line Out-> FX unit Line In -> FX unit Line Out -> sound card Line in

guillaume_pille":1h6un0vo said:
Are you talking about using the Analog Outs of the TS into the processor, and the outs of the processor to the Analog Ins of the TS?

No, unless you're planning in using your system as a feedback generator. ;)

I thought you wanted to put your effects after the TS, for example to put reverb and delay after the miking (that's what I do). The routing would be:

Guitar->amp-> TS Spkr In -> TS Line Out-> FX unit Line In -> FX unit Line Out -> sound card Line in

No, a feedback loop would not be a good thing :shocked: :LOL: :LOL:

Ok, to make sure I'm understanding correctly...if I route the way you listed above, connect the TS to my Focusrite using spdif ins/outs, is my gtr signal being sent to the computer through the digital spdif connection?

if I route the way you listed above, connect the TS to my Focusrite using spdif ins/outs, is my gtr signal being sent to the computer through the digital spdif connection?

I'm sorry, but there is no SPDIF on my layout. :confused:

Do you want to send the SPDIF from the TS to the computer AND the Line out to the FX unit at the same time? Because that's possible, but I don't understand what you want to do.

guillaume_pille":1eaq2idc said:
if I route the way you listed above, connect the TS to my Focusrite using spdif ins/outs, is my gtr signal being sent to the computer through the digital spdif connection?

I'm sorry, but there is no SPDIF on my layout. :confused:

Do you want to send the SPDIF from the TS to the computer AND the Line out to the FX unit at the same time? Because that's possible, but I don't understand what you want to do.

Yes. What I've been trying to do with the numerous :D questions I've been posting regarding using spdif vs analog connections, routing questions etc is to route everything in the "optimum" way to achieve the most direct/cleanest signal from the TS to the computer. Using the spdif ins and outs and reducing the number of ADA conversions(learned this from you guys!) sounds better to me at this point at least.

What I'm trying to accomplish now is:

I want to use what you refer to in the TS manual as the "Studio setup" AND use the spdif connections for the reasons I mentioned. Would this not be the most direct /cleanest method to route the signal from the TS into the computer?

To avoid any more confusion on my part, would you be so kind as to give me complete routing directions to accomplish this? If you don't think this is the "optimum" way to go, let me know that too please :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks Guillaume

I want to use what you refer to in the TS manual as the "Studio setup" AND use the spdif connections for the reasons I mentioned. Would this not be the most direct /cleanest method to route the signal from the TS into the computer?

That is the first thing I gave you in an earlier post, your FX unit don't have SPDIF I/Os, so simply please forget about S/PDIF, that is not a big deal :

Or get rid of the FX unit and simply plug the TS SPDIF output in the soundcard SPDIF input. And use some FX plugins in your computers for example.

guillaume_pille":1jnvb4t8 said:

That is the first thing I gave you in an earlier post, your FX unit don't have SPDIF I/Os, so simply please forget about S/PDIF, that is not a big deal :

Or get rid of the FX unit and simply plug the TS SPDIF output in the soundcard SPDIF input. And use some FX plugins in your computers for example.

I have used both these methods, mainly the second one as of late.

I do notice a beneficial sound difference using the TS's spdif connection vs the analog connection going into the AI. That's why I have been using the second method you've listed above. This beneficial sound difference using spdif is the reason that I was asking if I could use external FX processors while using the spdif connection from the TS to the AI.

You had indicated that this was possible in an earlier post... "Do you want to send the SPDIF from the TS to the computer AND the Line out to the FX unit at the same time? Because that's possible". This is the routing I was asking about.

Sorry for the confusion. Trying to communicate clearly through the written word can lead to misunderstanding often times :doh: :LOL: :LOL:

NOW I UNDERSTAND! :rock:

Yes you can send your signal from the TS in SPDIF on a couple track of your DAW, and the Line output of the TS to the FX and a couple Line input of your DAW (so 4 tracks, 2 with only the TS, 2 with TS + FX).

Again, the line connection :

And at the same time, the SPDIF connection:

Guitar->amp-> TS Spkr In -> TS S/PDIF Out-> F-> sound card S/PDIF In

But obviously the sound going to the FX and the Line input of the soundcard won't be less good that the direct SPDIF connection.

There is no FX loop on the Torpedo Studio so unless you put the FX unit in the loop of the amp (but no stereo then), you can't have the FX and the TS SPDIF connection at the same time.

guillaume_pille":355uudpq said:
NOW I UNDERSTAND! :rock:

Yes you can send your signal from the TS in SPDIF on a couple track of your DAW, and the Line output of the TS to the FX and a couple Line input of your DAW (so 4 tracks, 2 with only the TS, 2 with TS + FX).

Again, the line connection :

And at the same time, the SPDIF connection:

Guitar->amp-> TS Spkr In -> TS S/PDIF Out-> F-> sound card S/PDIF In

But obviously the sound going to the FX and the Line input of the soundcard won't be less good that the direct SPDIF connection.

There is no FX loop on the Torpedo Studio so unless you put the FX unit in the loop of the amp (but no stereo then), you can't have the FX and the TS SPDIF connection at the same time.

Got it, thanks Guillaume :rock:

Back