Torpedo Live - Is my guitar the problem??

Hello,

So I got a two-notes torpedo live yesterday and I have put a lot of time into trying to get a metal tone since I got it but I am really not satisfied with the results. I have my 6505+ running into the TL and I have tried the stock impulses and the OwnHammer mesa v30 cab and I dunno it just sounds so dark and has a little bit of fizz on the highs but maybe thats just a part of the TL being a digital product. The guitar I am using is an Ibanez RG 7421 with a Bareknuckle painkiller 7 in the bridge. The strings are probably due for a changing so I was thinking that maybe this dark tone is because of that. I also thought that maybe I need to go down a gauge of strings as I think I am at like 66-11 and heard that a lighter gauge will sound brighter. I have tried lowering the pickups and raising them and the tone just always sounds the same just the volume obviously changes. The tone is so dark and boomy with my 6505's EQ set at just 12 o'clock and even with the bass and resonance at 0. ( It does get better with the bass at 0 but is this really the only option? )

Maybe someone can shed some light on why I would have such a dark and muddy / boomy tone no matter what I do. I want some bite and attack and I am just getting flubby dead sounding tones

Thank you!

Is the power amp simulation turned off on the Torpedo? With the stock IRs, have you experimented with different mics and different mic placement? Just a few ideas.

Hung Huy Tran":2ika87hn said:
Is the power amp simulation turned off on the Torpedo? With the stock IRs, have you experimented with different mics and different mic placement? Just a few ideas.

I have tried all of the above with no improved results. I have the Amp sim turned off as I am using my amp itself into the TL. I am starting to think that this is a pickup / wood combo problem more than anything.

So I pulled out my 6 string guitar with the Emg 81-85 set and the tone is a little less muddy and I have more attack but its still pretty woofy. I have however noticed something that maybe someone here can explain. So my signal chain is Guitar > Peavey 6505+ out of the head into the torpedo live and then line out into the 1st input of my UR22 and then out to my Yamaha HS5 monitors. I have noticed that the sound quality when just using headphones plugged right into the torpedo live is superior to the tone when the headphones are plugged into the UR22. The volume is also much louder when listening straight out of the torpedo live when I have to crank my headphones knob on the UR22 to acheive the same volume.

Is this an issue with my soundcard coloring or diminishing the tone or signal that is coming into it from the torpedo live? Would using Spdif instead of line out make the sound remain unchanged or will my A/D converters in the UR22 still affect the tone ? Also should I be using a standard guitar cable when using the torpedo live line out into my UR22?

If your interface has a balanced input I think you should used a balanced cable from Torpedo to interface? I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Also, here is some information from the manual that may be helpful:

Setup Menu/Output (parameter 6/9)

The Torpedo Live is a mono unit, but the S/PDIF digital output carries 2 channels: the Wet (meaning with speaker simulation) or Dry (meaning without speaker simulation) signal, or a combination of the two.

It is important to note that the LEFT S/PDIF channel and the Line/Headphones output of the Torpedo Live are fed by the same signal. In other words, when the LEFT S/PDIF channel carries the DRY signal, the Line and Headphones output will carry the DRY signal too. When the LEFT S/PDIF channel carries the WET signal, the Line and Headphones output carries the WET signal.

There are 4 options that determine the way the 2 S/PDIF channels and the Line/Headphones output are fed.

Hung Huy Tran":pu45ko5g said:
If your interface has a balanced input I think you should used a balanced cable from Torpedo to interface? I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Also, here is some information from the manual that may be helpful:

The Torpedo Live is a mono unit, but the S/PDIF digital output carries 2 channels: the Wet (meaning with speaker simulation) or Dry (meaning without speaker simulation) signal, or a combination of the two.

It is important to note that the LEFT S/PDIF channel and the Line/Headphones output of the Torpedo Live are fed by the same signal. In other words, when the LEFT S/PDIF channel carries the DRY signal, the Line and Headphones output will carry the DRY signal too. When the LEFT S/PDIF channel carries the WET signal, the Line and Headphones output carries the WET signal.

There are 4 options that determine the way the 2 S/PDIF channels and the Line/Headphones output are fed.

I am not 100% sure what all of that means to be honest lol

It means that you have to be sure you are listening to the LIVE's output (processed tone via cab sims etc), rather than it's input (no processing, which typically sounds bad, but is available to record on a separate track to facilitate re-amping at a later date if desired).

Be sure you are listening to a processed output (i.e. if you hear changes while changing cabs and mics then you're listening to a processed output).

Darcy2386@gmail.com":c860ja7i said:
Hung Huy Tran":c860ja7i said:

I am not 100% sure what all of that means to be honest lol

Back