Upgrading my Interface..I'd appreciate your thoughts

CCT

Hey guys,

I'm going to be doing some upgrades including a new dedicated recording Computer(PC), AI, possibly some 500 series units.

I've got the Torp Studio BTW

My Sweetwater rep has suggested a few AI's. The Presonus 192, RME Fireface UCX and the Focusrite Clarette 8 Pre.

I'll be running two sets of monitors, recording guitar mainly using the Torp Studio(Analog outs and Spdif), recording bass through the AI and possibly some vocals. Don't see myself recording live drums or live band.

What do you guys think about those AI's...any other thoughts? I would like a unit that is very intuitive and has good "mix/routing" software...awesome sounding plug ins would be great of course :yes:

Thanks,

Craig

I have the focusrite Clarett 8 Pre. Fantastic unit! I have to track my band once in a while so it has been very handy for this! You could easily go with one of the smaller Clarett setups and save some $$$. Just make sure it has the amount of outs that you need for the monitors. The mix/routing software is excellent and easy to use!

Thanks PB. I should have mentioned that I currently have a Scarlett 18i8. I'm wanting/needing to move up to a "pro" grade AI.

As far as the mix software with the Scarlett...I haven't cared for it. Have you had experience with the Scarlett software compared with the Clarett?

Thanks again

I am a big fan of RME hardware and software, but I never tried the Focusrite or Presonus interfaces, so it's just a fanboy opinion. ^^

Presonus was not a nice experience for me. RME is what I use and am very happy with it. If you don't need a lot of inputs take a look at the crimson by SPL, it is great especially with all the controls at hand in that large panel.

ProgFreak":1rngutnz said:
Presonus was not a nice experience for me. RME is what I use and am very happy with it. If you don't need a lot of inputs take a look at the crimson by SPL, it is great especially with all the controls at hand in that large panel.

Thanks. I've had doubts about the Presonus due to seeing quite a few negative comments. I will check out the Crimson;-)

RME Fanboy here too, can't go wrong with them.

guillaume_pille":2hw4q0sa said:
I am a big fan of RME hardware and software, but I never tried the Focusrite or Presonus interfaces, so it's just a fanboy opinion. ^^

djd100":2p9tyc1p said:
The UA stuff is very good too if you'd like some additional DSP etc!
Am I correct that by DSP, you are referring to UA's plug in bundles? I understand that UA's AI's and plugins are highly regarded as well.

Thanks,
Craig

Yes Sir!

CCT":2nbaclsz said:
djd100":2nbaclsz said:
Am I correct that by DSP, you are referring to UA's plug in bundles? I understand that UA's AI's and plugins are highly regarded as well.

Thanks,
Craig

:thumbsup:

djd100":24f63fyz said:
Yes Sir!

CCT":24f63fyz said:
djd100":24f63fyz said:

Thanks,
Craig

CCT":1tb5n844 said:
Thanks PB. I should have mentioned that I currently have a Scarlett 18i8. I'm wanting/needing to move up to a "pro" grade AI.

As far as the mix software with the Scarlett...I haven't cared for it. Have you had experience with the Scarlett software compared with the Clarett?

Thanks again

The mix software for the Clarett is much better and much more user friendly. The AIR setting sounds amazing! Much happier with this unit than I was with the UAD Apollo Twin Duo that I had previously. Recording with the Thunderbolt interface has been flawless!

I had an RME baby face a couple of years back and returned it. Absolutely didn't like the interface or unit.

Back