Torpedo Studio loadbox: reactive vs resistive

TheEarl

Hello, all.

I recently purchased a Torpedo Studio and I have a novice question about using reactive/resistive modes. When the Studio is set to reactive loadbox mode (by turning off Resistive loadbox mode in the setup), does the Studio still provide resistance so that the amplifier "sees" the correct load (assuming there is no actual speaker cabinet plugged in for either mode)?

I ask because I have read that some speaker emulators are reactive loads when a speaker is connected and resistive when the speaker is not connected. I am curious if I can run either mode without a speaker on the Studio. I don't want to damage an amp!

Thanks!

P.S., the Studio sounds awesome!

The answer is both,

The Studio provides a choice of a Reactive or Resistive load which can be selected to offer the best sound for your amps. In addition, there is an additional backup resistive load if the unit is unpowered or if one plays beyond the thermal warning threshold.

Connecting a jack into the Thru jack bypasses the selected load.

I ask because I have read that some speaker emulators are reactive loads when a speaker is connected and resistive when the speaker is not connected.

Well, we can put it that way: if they behave like that, it just means that the loadbox is purely resistive, and when the cabinet is plugged your amp sees the cabinet (only, or a combination of the resistive load + cabinet).

In other words, a smart way not to say that the loadbox is purely resistive ha ha.

Some breakfast cereal companies advertise that a "serving of cereal" ie. in a bowl with copious amounts of milk "is a a great source of calcium"

Hey guys. Thanks for getting back to me.
I understand that the Studio can run in resistive mode without a speaker load (using the Studio's load) or in reactive mode with a speaker (by bypassing the Studio's load when plugged into the through). I am still a little unsure if I can safely run the Studio without a speaker load in reactive mode. I think that I can not run in reactive mode without a speaker because when I flip the modes from resistive to reactive, I hear a click similar to when the Studio starts up and the screen says "load compensation off" or something similar. To me, this seems like the Studio's internal resistive load is switched off when reactive mode is manually activated.
Can you guys verify this?
Thanks!

If the Studio is set to "Reactive" mode and an amp is plugged into the speaker level input, you can happily use the Torpedo and amp silently. This is the default setup and the one most users prefer.

You only need to make sure a) you match the impedance selector on the back of the Torpedo to the amp you are using with 8 being what is most typical and b) that a cable is not plugged into the "Thru" jack

TheEarl":3q8mlh2b said:
I understand that the Studio can run in resistive mode without a speaker load (using the Studio's load)
Yes

or in reactive mode with a speaker (by bypassing the Studio's load when plugged into the through).
As you say, the Studio's load is bypassed when using the Thru jack. So if the Studio's load is bypassed, it doesn't matter if it is resistive or reactive : the amp doesn't see it anyway !

The speaker being reactive, in this situation, you can say your amp plays on a reactive load, but that has nothing to do with the load inside the Studio ;)

I am still a little unsure if I can safely run the Studio without a speaker load in reactive mode.
Yes you can.

I think that I can not run in reactive mode without a speaker
Yes, you really can ;)

because when I flip the modes from resistive to reactive, I hear a click similar to when the Studio starts up
That's the relays switching some components around the loadbox, inside the Studio. They are similar to the one switching the security load at startup, but they are not the same. Same "click", not same effect ;)

and the screen says "load compensation off" or something similar.
The "Load Compensation" is a digital filter we added in the processing, this has nothing to do with the actual load, as seen by the amp. It is only usable when the load is resistive, because it is useless on a reactive load.

To me, this seems like the Studio's internal resistive load is switched off when reactive mode is manually activated.
It is not ;) There is absolutely no way you could switch off the 8 ohms load through the SETUP menu. We wouldn't design a parameter that would make the amp unsafe to play !! :doh:

The only ways this could be done is :
- Switching off the Studio
- Overheat the Studio and make it go into thermal protection. You'll be warned if this happens.
- Having something plugged into the Thru jack (this disconnects the internal 8 ohms loadbox).

So as long as there is nothing plugged in the Thru jack, your Studio is powered on, and there is no warning on the Studio's LCD display telling you to stop playing, you can be 100% sure there is a 8 ohm loadbox connected to the Speaker Input jack ;)

Awesome!
Thanks, guys. I feel a lot better now. And it is good to know that I can run in reactive mode without a speaker connected. In general, I like the way that mode sounds a little more than resistive mode.
Basstyra, thanks for specifically commenting about the "click" when the mode is changed. It is helpful to know that the click is normal and doesn't indicate a change in load (or anything abnormal).

Back