Preamp + cab in one unit?

Migel

Hi,

First of all I have Torpedo Live unit and the tones are just amazing, thank you!

Just been wondering, have you ever thought of merging your preamp pedal(s) and torpedo cab as a single unit? I'm not an expert or anything but would assume it could fit in 1 or 2 rack unit right and still be in reasonable price range? Of course this would depend on the number of preamps, but maybe one or two could be enough for most people (clean + lead or clean + crunch + two leads?) I just think it would be super convenient, all your tube tone in one box <3 Then maybe add some nice rack fx, voila! I know everyone aren't into racks, but they can always choose pedal way can't they?

I know its possible this topic has already been discussed somewhere, I just didn't bump into any.

Hi Migel,

it's definitely possible but you are right, people nowadays do not want racks and prefer pedals.

but let's keep that aside, and consider the option.

What would be, for you, the perfect set of options and the reasonable price you are talking about?

Thx for reply Guillaume!

Yeah I understand pedals have their pros, my current rig also runs through pedalboard, tone is excellent and I guess when compared to basic rack fx, pedals tend to win in overall quality (depending on pedals of course). Still I think some basic rack fx unit, like g major, would do just fine for me and I'm also gravitating towards rack rig because of size, portability, space restrictions etc. Everything in one place nice and neat. And Torpedo Live & Studio are both rack units, so couldn't there be room for one more fellow?

Options:

- Price range, something similar to Live, maybe 1000 +/- 100 euros? Again depending on the preamp models, 2 channels at minimum but maybe 3 would be ideal: first crystal clean, second nice crunch and third fierce lead.

- Torpedo C.A.B fully included and maybe stereo out as an extra feature for recording? Mono out does the job, but the perfect set, since you asked =)

I use both Engl e530 preamp and also EVH III with Live, very happy with both, maybe even like Engl more these days. But if there were this all-in-one-unit, I think Engl would have a serious competitor.

p.s. I know you're not (at least yet) dealing with fx, but THAT would be.. such a super-unit :)) Fractals and Kempers beware.. But ok enough of this daydreaming now :D

I like the idea of an all-in-one rack unit; how about something that contains the innards of the Torpedo CAB & then has slots for adding in Two Notes preamp models of one's choosing (like the old Egnater/Randall system)? That approach could make it appeal to a wider range of people as the customer would then be able to choose the preamp assortment that suits them & it would also help to cut down on the cost of the base unit rather than everybody having to fork out for three preamps if they only need the one.

On a separate note, I know I've mentioned this before but I'm still hoping that you guys will add effects loops across your line at some point. It'd be a huge benefit for those of use with amps that don't have effects loops, but would also give people with more modern amps the added option of inserting effects after their power amp & cab/mic processing the same way as one would when tracking in a studio.

...Oh &; as we're talking a perfect-world scenario, if you could add the stereo processing option that is found in the VB-101/Studio then that would be rad (as would Overload :) ...yes, we do want to have our cake & eat it! I rely on these options so heavily in my VB-101 at home that I don't think I could live without them!

...come to think of it, why not make the CAB portion a module too? That way the rack unit can just be a housing for hooking up whatever modular configuration suits the customer. One could then select a preamp (or a few even) plus the CAB module for an all in one setup, or even use it to house all four preamps alongside a standalone Torpedo solution such as the Studio or the Live.

Sorry for the multiple posts by the way, I'm far too enthusiastic about the Two Notes product line! Haha.

On a separate note, I know I've mentioned this before but I'm still hoping that you guys will add effects loops across your line at some point. It'd be a huge benefit for those of use with amps that don't have effects loops, but would also give people with more modern amps the added option of inserting effects after their power amp & cab/mic processing the same way as one would when tracking in a studio.

An FX loop, and DI output on all our Torpedo product is definitely on the paper for the next version. What's not is any kind of release date. ^^ So don't hold your breath and take the time to enjoy the current units.

if you could add the stereo processing option that is found in the VB-101/Studio then that would be rad (as would Overload :)

That means multiplying by 2 the CPU capability, which can't be done without adding quite a lot to the price (+ extra connectivity). I like to keep the studio as the ultimate unit and actually in the next firmware we will make it even more ultimate. ;)

guillaume_pille":bbrc6egm said:
An FX loop, and DI output on all our Torpedo product is definitely on the paper for the next version. What's not is any kind of release date. ^^ So don't hold your breath and take the time to enjoy the current units.

That's awesome news, it shows that you guys obviously take note of the feedback you receive!

That means multiplying by 2 the CPU capability, which can't be done without adding quite a lot to the price (+ extra connectivity). I like to keep the studio as the ultimate unit and actually in the next firmware we will make it even more ultimate. ;)

I had a feeling that might be the case, that was a fantasy-land scenario that I threw out there though (forgive me :).

...hope you like the modular idea too; hell, look how big Eurorack has gotten over in synth land. People are definitely open to a more customisable approach (much in the same way as people have gone back to piecing together pedalboards rather than buying all-in-one effects processors) & the fact that the preamps are analog tube designs would lend itself to this sort of form-factor as opposed to something that makes one think 'modeller'.

...hope you like the modular idea too; hell, look how big Eurorack has gotten over in synth land. People are definitely open to a more customisable approach (much in the same way as people have gone back to piecing together pedalboards rather than buying all-in-one effects processors) & the fact that the preamps are analog tube designs would lend itself to this sort of form-factor as opposed to something that makes one think 'modeller'.

+1 on this ^^

Back