Level signal into torpedo live

Bigshredder

Hi guys. I am playing a mesa boogie dual rec into my torpedo live. And I have some thoughts and questions regarding signal and vol levels. If I go past 10o clock on my amp the tone gets distorted and chocked. I have heard that the mesa dual rec needs to get puched past noon to sound good. Is that BS or is the torpedo live unit to weak to handle a hotter signal? Also, what vol level in is the best on the live? If I have it so the volume meter shows 18 and lower the suond is clear but sorta polite, if I turn the input higher so the meter goes to 12 or 6 the sound is more present and in your face but feels sorta forced and choked some times. And last, if I lover the output volume on the live unit the dry amp signal (without the cab emulation) bleeds through. Is this normal? Cause it creates some phase issues when turning down the output volume more than -20 db.

Nobody have any experience with this behavior? I sat for 2-3 hours last night testing the levels and when I go past 10 o'clock on the volume control (loop bypassed) the tone gets choked and distorts ugly. Could it be that the amp seeing the load from the Live unit is being pushed to hard? Or I 10 o'clock on the volume when loop is bypassed an insane amount of volume?

Dual rectifier do not need to be pushed hard to sound good, actually sounds preatty good in any level.
In my band we use a dual rectifier into a torpedo live... works excellent, the torpedo live can handle the signal very well... you must check de input level and the output level for a proper performance of the unit tho... if you send a hotter signal into the torpedo, you must reduce the input for avoide clipping.

I get that I have to lower the input when cranking the vol, but no matter how low the input is on the live so low that almost no sound is comming through, the tone gets muffled and choked into a wall of absolutely no dynamic gain wall.

The right starting volume is a setting you'd normally use if you were at a larger jam space or club through a typical speaker cabinet. From there, get all the green LED's on the left to light up when you hit a power chord using the Torpedo's input control. You should select a preset marked AMP and start with the Torpedo's output volume at 0dB (the rightmost knob when not in edit mode). You must then assure your destination....DAW, FRFR monitor etc is set to receive a line level and is not clipping or compressing. Once this is all working, you then have a baseline to begin tweaking your tone.

10 o'clock with loop bypassed on channel 3 red I'd say is pretty loud. Not insane loud. What cabs are you using with the recto ?

There is not much in the Torpedo Live that can cause this kind of issue on the sound, as long as its input doesn't clip, of course. Maybe the Power Amp simulation could, but as you are already using a full amplifier, just turn the Power Amp section off.

From what I read, I'd say you are just pushing the amp too hard. In any case, trusting your ears is probably better than trusting something you have read, that may be irrelevant to your particular situation :)

The bleed issue at the output is really not normal however. If you turn the output level all the way down to Mute, do you still get sound at the output ? If yes, something is wrong, and you should probably send us a support ticket :

http://support.two-notes.com/index.php?a=add

Basstyra":21hl7t4r said:
There is not much in the Torpedo Live that can cause this kind of issue on the sound, as long as its input doesn't clip, of course. Maybe the Power Amp simulation could, but as you are already using a full amplifier, just turn the Power Amp section off.

From what I read, I'd say you are just pushing the amp too hard. In any case, trusting your ears is probably better than trusting something you have read, that may be irrelevant to your particular situation :)

The bleed issue at the output is really not normal however. If you turn the output level all the way down to Mute, do you still get sound at the output ? If yes, something is wrong, and you should probably send us a support ticket :

http://support.two-notes.com/index.php?a=add

The bleednoise is there when plugging the headphones directly into the torpedo lives headphone out. When using the line out to the mixer or interface there is no dry bleed noise.

Remember that Dual Rectifiers have a bleed problem when you turn the volume all the way down. Unplug your Torpedo and see if just the amp and cab do it.

Back