Wall of Sound III without load box - LoneStar Sound

ghoststrat

I'm a newb with this plugin, but not quite a newb with the tech.. close, though.

Here's my question/situation: I usually run a LoneStar for my clean sound, with a BB and Euphoria in front of it, and was looking at using the WoS III plugin to try to duplicated it. I've used Guitar Rig in the past, but that's about it. When using GR, I just went direct and used the inboard fx. I'd like to try to get the sound as close as possible without a load box (I'm broke), if possible. If it's isn't possible, is there an entry-level box you can recommend that'll get me close?

Thanks!

You could run the Lonestar with the speaker connected but the output volume at 0 and take the effect send to DAW and then use WOSIII. Make sure that you select loop "on" and set your channel masters and effect send levels such that you get a good signal without clipping your daw input (which should be set to receive a line level). The speaker is connected so your amp is safe but with the volume (output control) at 0 you aren't disturbing anyone. Be careful not to switch out the loop as you could blast the heck out of the amp and have irate neighbours to deal with.

You can then use the WOSIII power amp sim to dial back any power amp attributes that would compromise the sound of using this method. You will get a result that is way better than an in the box modeler and exxtremely close to a properly miced Lonestar in a pro studio.

Thank you!

Should I use a DI box, or will going directly into the 003 yield the same result?

Hey, wait a minute.. you're 'the guy'! I actually checked out your product due to a podcast (Guitar Wank) where I heard with Scott Henderson talking about it. He spoke very highly of it in two different episodes, I think. Or I heard the same one twice.

I spent a lot of time looking at your product last night and the question of, "how do they sell it so inexpensively" kept coming to mind. How do you guys do it? It looks like your hardware is the main focus, which would make sense. I'm thankful for your pricing model for the plugin, otherwise I'd be SOL for a long while.

you can audition cabinets online and choose what you like best...... probably the best choices would be open back 2x12's or 4x10's.....there's lots to choose from

sysexguy":2nfnj84e said:
You could run the Lonestar with the speaker connected but the output volume at 0 and take the effect send to DAW and then use WOSIII. Make sure that you select loop "on" and set your channel masters and effect send levels such that you get a good signal without clipping your daw input (which should be set to receive a line level). The speaker is connected so your amp is safe but with the volume (output control) at 0 you aren't disturbing anyone. Be careful not to switch out the loop as you could blast the heck out of the amp and have irate neighbours to deal with.

You can then use the WOSIII power amp sim to dial back any power amp attributes that would compromise the sound of using this method. You will get a result that is way better than an in the box modeler and exxtremely close to a properly miced Lonestar in a pro studio.

I tried this, but I may be missing something. When I turn the output vol to 0, I get no sound through the line at all. Are you talking about moving the output line on the back of the amp to the external speaker jack that's next to it (leaving the original jack empty), and adjust *that* volume to zero?

Mesa%20Lonestar%20[3].gif

you can see from the attached the send is pre the output control. It also shows that the send would be active without a jack plugged into the return (which is the case with some amps). The output does not affect the level going to DAW

Turning the output to zero may reduce a bit of hiss from the amp but no signal should come from the speakers

The external speaker jack should not be connected to your DAW. As well the slave out could be used with caution as mentioned in the manual however this would not be possible with silent operation without a loadbox.

The important things to check as I mentioned in my first post. The send volume on the rear must be set in the normal range and then adjusted to get a good result into your DAW and the loop switch on the rear must be set to the on position ( "loop in" )

I do not own a Lonestar but I see there are a few versions so if this isn't making sense, perhaps we need to look at the specific model

Back